Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a pressure washer that's powerful enough to blow the caked-on crud off old engine blocks, rear ends, etc.

What pressure/GPM range should I be looking for? Would the common 2500-2700 psi/2.3-2.5 GPM models work?

As a point of reference, does anyone know how much pressure/GPM a typical coin operated car wash has? I know it's not enough for what I want to do.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Ive always used the car washes, to clean up my greasy parts. Scape, soak with "Simple Green," blast with the washer, then some more S G with a solvent brush, blast again with the washer. You might have to clean it up with a solvent, to get rid of the oil residue. Unless you have a future need for a washer, it's going to just sit.

·
Registered
36,146 Posts
The handful of consumer style pressure washers I've used are pretty comparable to the car wash.

If you want to do better than the car wash can do, you need to prep with oven cleaner or some other nasty chemical.

When it's really stubborn, you're talking sandblasting or chemical cleaning in a hot tank.

Personally I wouldn't buy a pressure washer to do car parts, I'd just carry them to the car wash.

Now, if you need to do your driveway, or clean the mildew off the siding on your house, or other things where you need to bring the pressure washer to the job, you might have more motivation to buy one.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Mines a 3000psi.
I just used it to clean my engine/trans and front frame,engine area on my 68 truck.
Results are so/so.
Been hand cleaning ever since.(see my post under transmissions)
Results still suck,but I'm slowly getting there.
The pressure washer does just sit there most of the time.So,think before you buy one.
Or,you can borrow mine!:D
Mike.:)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually don't do engine blocks or rear axles that often, but was just wondering what it would take to handle them. Seems like I'm always running into a dirty part that needs more pressure than a car wash. I'd also use a washer on sidewalks, driveway, fences, and those nasty stains on gutters.

I read a few articles on the Internet after I started this thread. To do a job like cleaning Mike's trans, you'd need a warm water or hot water power washer with the proper chemicals. Those things start at $2,500.:eek:

Regarding cold water washers, quality can vary greatly, just like with a lawnmower or snowblower. Once you get into the $800 range, you get a better engine, like Honda's GX commercial model, a belt-driven triplex pump (with adjustable pressure), rubber hose, commercial quality wand, large pneumatic tires, etc. And even that's an entry level semi-commercial product.

There are also some decent 3000/2.5-2.8 models for around $500 with direct drive pump (less desirable that belt-drive triplex pump) and Honda's lesser GC engine. These would be considered entry level consumer models in the industry, but mid-to-high range models at Lowes and Home Depot. What's become clear to me is the $300 models like I mentioned in my first post are sub-entry level, even for around the house jobs.

Thanks for your comments above.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hello IMO You donnot want one with too much presure as it can damage things that you are washing,Mine is a small one at about 1750 psi and it works for everyting i have used it for,My firend has a large washer and it will blow the paint off,so its something to think about. GOOD LUCK RICH

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich -- Thanks for the tip. I once cleaned cedar siding with a borrowed washer. I had to keep the wand moving and and not too close to the siding, or else the water pressure would "eat" into it, so I know what you mean.

From what I've read, using the right tip (more water, less pressure) will also help. On the more expensive units with triplex pumps, you can adjust the pressure.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I also have a Hotsy Pressure washer it's a 2500 psi @ 4.5gpm It will knock a person on their A** if not paying attention! The higher the gpm the better it will clean at given pressure, also try Northern Tool they have a selection that should fit the budget. Car wash pressure washers are usually 2.5 - 3.0 gpm and 2000psi max

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
2600psi costco special here ($160).

If I have to clean a really greasy cruddy item, it goes to the coin op commercial truck wash,,that has Hot Hot water and plenty of PSI,,plus a very good engine cleaner chemical.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I've just got a Lowes pressure washer......use it to clean our patios. I clean parts with it, too..........but I presoak in oven cleaner..........buy it a dozen at a time at the 99 cent store.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
I have washer from Home Depot. It's 2300-2500 psi. bought when had the farm. used more there at the house now. comes in handy for cleaning the dack and siding. It can takes paint off wood too easy. cleaning car parts I head to the car wash. Don't want the grease and crud in the yard( have to keep up with the Jones now). mostly it sits in the garage.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Headin' out in a few minutes to use one like this..

3000 psi with heat, have it mounted on a truck with a 550 gallon water tank...

·
Registered
208 Posts
power washer

THE ONLY ADVICE I WILL GIVE IS WHAT I WAS TOLD WHEN I BOUGHT MINE IS FIND ONE WITH EITHER A CAT OR A GIANT PUMP, THE REASON BEING YOU CAN REBUILD THESE PUMPS, IF YOU BUY ONE OF THE CHEAPER MODELS AND THE PUMP GOES IT WILL COST MORE TO REPLACE THE PUMP THAN WHAT YOU PAID FOR THE POWER WASHER.

:anim_25:JOHN

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I use a 11 hp honda it has adjustable pressure/ flow, with a maximum of 3000 psi. You can probably get buy with a slightly smaller version with a 1/4 meg nozzle to do the job you mentioned. Just start by holding at a good distance away until you get to know its power or you could blow the paint right off.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Ive owned some cheap ones once the alumimum pump goes bad the engines are good go cart engines. Cold water even at very high pressure dont clean grease very good. A hot water washer with detergent does a good job. I have bought 3 hot water pressure washers at auctions all of them had bad heating coils. you need to run cold water and cool the coils down before shutting them down . also the heating coils hold water so they need to be winterized to keep them from freezing. One of the auction ones I bought has a 18 hp vangard gas engine we just bypassed the coils and used it as a cold water washer. It has so much pressure the it will wear you out after about 1/2 hour and it still doesnt do a good job on baked on grease. Its great for flushing out water jackets and oil passages in dissambled engines. Its also great for washing dirt and rat dropping,s from the old cars we bring in. :anim_25: Randall

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
I also like Simple Green and my medium size pressure washer., Oven cleaner I've never tried but hear it works good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts