1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BIGGER PROBLEM and HELP is On the Way with My Powerglide in my '57

EDIT:

Well Guys,

Checked the idle and choke and all was adjusted good, got in and backed her down the driveway, waiting for cross-traffic then went to back her out and clunk!, grind!, buzz!, spinning noises and no D, L, and R, Neutral works fine hee hee, haa, haa, have to keep my witts here or I'll crack. Ok so, call AAA, they get the tow service out to my place, he gets my '57 wagon back into my gararge. I put out a email bulletin to the local car club I am a member in. One of our member's responds, he has several classic cars and gets them serviced by an older mechanic that is familiar with rebuilding Powerglides. He referred him to me, I called him, told him the problem, a estimate of high $1200. I was glad to find the connects to a older mechanic that specializes in working on an old classic like my '57 Chevrolet, not many here in SD. So with that said: we have a date for February 12th, hope to have her up and running by the end of the month, wish me luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,

I have a question about the Powerglide in my '57 wagon. First, the engine is running strong and idle is set, but when I put it in any gear, I get a jerk and the PG drops the idle down to want to stall the motor when it's cold. When warmed up, the engine does not stall. I have never known a auto trans to do this. Is there something wrong with the torque converter? or an adjustment of the valve/bands for drive, low or reverse that have to be made? When taking off and driving the PG responds normally, only at idle, feels ruff in drive, low or reverse. When you put it in gear, the car wants to mildly jerk in the direction it's shifted to. I now need to put the car in Netural at a stop light or it feels like a dragging feeling when still in gear. I know this is not right, but I am not familiar with these old PGs. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I was always under the impression that you set the idle speed and mixture with the car in gear. Maybe wrong but that's what I've done.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right Troy, in the book it says 425 in drive, which I did with a tach, but I still don't understand the ruff jerk when I put the car in gear. Maybe after I recheck the idle and choke, if it needs it, and it still does it, I will have to take it to a reputable shop.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like the automatic choke is acting up. Perhaps the fast idle is too high (the jerk) and then it kicks out of choke mode and stalls. Just a guess: carburetors are kind of mystical at times.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Stonewalker, seems it may be the choke adjustment and idle, I'm going to give a check. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BIGGER PROBLEM and HELP is On the Way with My Powerglide in my '57

EDIT:

Well Guys,

Checked the idle and choke and all was adjusted good, got in and backed her down the driveway, waiting for cross-traffic then went to back her out and clunk!, grind!, buzz!, spinning noises and no D, L, and R, Neutral works fine hee hee, haa, haa, have to keep my witts here or I'll crack. :eek: Ok so, call AAA, they get the tow service out to my place, he gets my '57 wagon back into my gararge. I put out a email bulletin to the local car club I am a member in. One of our member's responds, he has several classic cars and gets them serviced by an older mechanic that is familiar with rebuilding Powerglides. He referred him to me, I called him, told him the problem, a estimate of high $1200. I was glad to find the connects to a older mechanic that specializes in working on an old classic like my '57 Chevrolet, not many here in SD. So with that said: we have a date for February 12th, hope to have her up and running by the end of the month, wish me luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------[/B]
:tu:cool::tu

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You are right Troy, in the book it says 425 in drive, which I did with a tach, but I still don't understand the ruff jerk when I put the car in gear. Maybe after I recheck the idle and choke, if it needs it, and it still does it, I will have to take it to a reputable shop.
idle is to high or the PG BAND needs adjustment

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
idle is to high or the PG BAND needs adjustment

It felt like that too, just following the SM specs. I must say, I've only had standard shift cars back in the day as a teen, so what do I know about automatics. :eek: I've always been a 3 pedal guy. :)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Take a look at your vacuum hoses to make sure they are all connected and not dry rotted, fluid soaked or cracked. At cold idle they can give you some incorrect idle conditions.....

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BIGGER PROBLEM - PG IS DOWN

57Chevyman, thanks for the info, all lines are fine and checked out, there's BIGGER PROBLEM with the Powerglide, looks like it's going to need a rebuild.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put a th350 in mine after the turboglide quit what a difference>>>Peter
Thanks Peter, what about the yoke splines and driveshaft length, any difference in the length of the transmission? Any other conversions that had to take place? just curious.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Jack this is the post I put on the forum away back. They're were a lot of questions on what to do to convert a powerglide to a
th350. This is what I had done at my local garage. The group who did this were perfectionist so I know I got a good job...Read below

I posted a thread a while back with regards to the swapping of of bad turboglide to a TH350 tranny. Many procedures and required extra parts were suggested. he is what happened in my case.

I have a 57 Chevy 4dr. I acquired a TH350 from the owner of my local garage. First of all the garage I use for major work has been in the same location for over 75 years. The owner has worked in the business for 50 years. He owns multiple hot rods etc. He's a perfectionist which is good for me. I know i was going to get great work from them.

This is what I needed to get the job done.

The drive shaft shorten 1 1/8 inches. It could of gone in with no play but it would of been to tight.

New flywheel.

New rear cross member. This was put in as a caution. He had one he didn't use so he decided to put it in for added support.

New Yoke.

New kick down cable.

New custom linkage.

New flexible dip stick unit.

Plus the mufflers were moved they were put in wrong.

I also had a complete tune up.

The cost for all this wasn't cheap but he guarantees all his work plus the tune up was a bonus the car runs like brand new.

What a difference the new th350 make. You boot it and it takes off like a rocket I'm impressed.

So if any one asked what do I need to do to convert a powerglide or turboglide to a TH350 send them to this thread.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts