Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, It's about time I put PS in the '55 (shoulder issues). But the corner of the block is broken off allowing for only one bolt for the PS bracket. What are my options short of an engine swap?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Maybe find another spot to drill/tap an extra hole in that area of the engine, then drill a hole in the pump bracket at the same location. That way you'll have 2 mounting points for the bracket. Don't drill too far or you'll pierce the water jacket.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
OK, It's about time I put PS in the '55 (shoulder issues). But the corner of the block is broken off allowing for only one bolt for the PS bracket. What are my options short of an engine swap?
Post some pictures clearly showing the issue, with and without the bracket. Also, consider altering the bracket by extending to reach either another existing tapped hole, or attaching to another nearby bracket. I would not attempt to drill/tap into the block.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The one problem with most of the later model and aftermarket brackets is that if you do happen to run front engine mounts the power steering pump can never be mounted upright or even close because it hits the drivers side upper A arm. And there may be other issues even if you have side mounts for the engine with later model stock or aftermarket brackets...been down that road and ended up fabricating my own mounting brackets...ain't pretty but it works:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts