Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am installing courtesy lights on my 55. ( Note: I am not going thru the headlight switch.) So far, on one door, I have installed two LED lights. (when you open the door it provides more light, just like modern cars) I then installed a rear step light (LED) and a under dash courtesy light. (regular small bulb).

Yesterday I was showing just the door lights to some friends and they worked fine. I only had those two wires twisted together with 12v and just grounded it on the dash.

Today, I solder all 4 light wires together and connected all the grounds to the door button switch. Now when I release the door button switch, the lights are not bright. One of the LED's on the door gets bright when I open the door,
then it goes dim.

Wait a minute. When I showed them to my friends, I only connected the two door lights and they worked good. I did not have the ground connected to the door button switch nor did I have the other two lights connected Maybe it has something to do with the door button switch? Its original. Any ideas what I screwed up???

=============================================

Ok, I disconnected the ground from the door switch and the same problem. Then I started to add the lights on one by one. I got to the fourth light and bingo, the lights dim. Now, what would cause this? One thought, would the problem be that all three lights are LED whereas the fourth light is a regular incandescent?

I did find the reason for this happening on the net, but now can't seem to find it. All I know is that they do not mix. After the bulbs dimmed, I then took off the incandescent and put on another LED and they worked great. Now to put all back together.

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
Sounds like the door button switch,,, run a single ground wire to the dash ,and see if they are bright ,,,:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Max...the way you describe connecting the lights, seems like they are connected parallel? And not in series? If so, I would check resistance across the switch. The door switch may not be heavy enough to handle all the lights. Another thing to check is the ground.

May want to use a relay. I like using relays anyway, easier to get at wires and find what's up. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am installing courtesy lights on my 55. ( Note: I am not going thru the headlight switch.) So far, on one door, I have installed two LED lights. (when you open the door it provides more light, just like modern cars) I then installed a rear step light (LED) and a under dash courtesy light. (regular small bulb).

Yesterday I was showing just the door led lights to some friends and they worked fine. I only had those two wires twisted together with 12v and just grounded it on the dash.

Today, I solder all 4 light wires together and connected all the grounds to the door button switch. Now when I release the door button switch, the lights are not bright. One of the LED's on the door gets bright when I open the door,
then it goes dim.

Wait a minute. When I showed them to my friends, I only connected the two door lights and they worked good. I did not have the ground connected to the door button switch nor did I have the other two lights connected Maybe it has something to do with the door button switch? Its original. Any ideas what I screwed up???

=============================================

Ok, I disconnected the ground from the door switch and the same problem. Then I started to add the lights on one by one. I got to the fourth light and bingo, the lights dim. Now, what would cause this? One thought, would the problem be that all three lights are LED whereas the fourth light is a regular incandescent?

I did find the reason for this happening on the net, but now can't seem to find it. All I know is that they do not mix. After the bulbs dimmed, I then took off the incandescent and put on another LED and they worked great. Now to put all back together.
Have you installed the courtesy lights? I am looking to get new courtesy lights at affordable prices.. Can you provide some suitable options along with source to get them?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you installed the courtesy lights? I am looking to get new courtesy lights at affordable prices.. Can you provide some suitable options along with source to get them?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
Believe it or not, I get them from marine supply stores. Places where they sell boats You may not want to get them from a marine store as some of them are pretty pricey. However, boat accesory stores have way more choices for those types of lights than auto parts stores. I got some nice floor lights for the rear of the car on each panel side and some nice lights for when you open the doors. My under dash lights I get from Superbrightleds.com Also, I go online and look for the best deals by just typing in those two works, courtesy lights.
Hope this helps you.
max

1 - 6 of 6 Posts