Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain how to get the headlight switch out of the dash? I can't figure it out. I pulled on the knob, but the knob doesn't come out. Any pointers. I need to replace the wiring.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,876 Posts
56Toy.....There is a small button on the top of the switch.....You have to push it in to get the shaft out.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
There is a button on top of the switch that must be depressed and then the knob and shaft will come out of the switch. This isn't a tri-five switch but the button is about the same place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks so much for the help. It has been driving me crazy. I wish I would have found this site about 8 hrs. ago. I will probably be posting again. The wiring in my car got so hot it melted the wires and I am trying to figure out where the problem started.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The wiring in my car got so hot it melted the wires and I am trying to figure out where the problem started.
Welcome to TRI-FIVE!!! Which wires melted? Someone on the site probably had the same situation and can help locate the probably cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wiring

It happened when I connected the battery. I always disconnect the battery when I'm done driving it. I had closed the hood and I hadn't turned on the key and it started smoking, opened the hood and all I saw was smoke. Disconnected the battery. The red wire from the starter cellinoid up thru the firewall into the ignition and back out to the voltage regulator. I'm not sure where it started. I'm thinking it may have started at the voltage regulator.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
I'd look real close where the main wire from the solenoid goes through the firewall the grommet may have let the wire short out on the firewall My 56 had a similar situation before I owned it & I replaced the dash & engine harness for the previous owner (lucky for me)

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I'd look real close where the main wire from the solenoid goes through the firewall the grommet may have let the wire short out on the firewall My 56 had a similar situation before I owned it & I replaced the dash & engine harness for the previous owner (lucky for me)
You do realize that this is a 10 year old thread, correct?
Terry

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
got again normally I catch that before responding but often read them not realizing the age till half way through missed that one though

·
Administrator
68,068 Posts
For some reason they are coming up on recommend reading, hopefully the switch and wiring has now been completed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts