Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems getting into the chat room. Yesterday, on my old G3 iBook I accidentally had the num lock key on and couldn't type in the chat room!

Today, on my G5 iMac, I can't even log on! When I click on the chat room link it takes me through the same 'activation' process but when it's done I get a login screen and I can't type in the fields! I've tried everything and can't get on.

Anybody else have any problems?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's another problem that just started -- I have to login but now I can type....weird!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....and my connection expires real fast. I haven't timed it, but if I don't post something for a short time I get disconnected and then I have to re-login.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I had a simular program with being logged out of the forum , so I set my brouser to default security options and it stopped logging me out

Do you have a differant computer to try it on, oh when you type a
message in the chat make sure you click your mouse in the chat text type box before typing maybe that will help

Otis

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do click in the text box before typing....can't figure out the problem, but when I logged out and back in it worked!

When you first set up the chat room all I had to do was click on chat room in the banner in this forum and it would log me in to the chat room. Now I have to manually log in. The logout problem seems to be a setting in the chat program since it tells me that my session timed out and then I have to login again. It's annoying if all I want to do is 'listen in.'

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Otis! I ran a little test this morning and I seemed to have tons of time with no activity and did not get knocked out.

1,544 Posts
Otis, I just posted a question on another thread about the chat room but I'll ask here also, when I go into the chat room and it shows another member is there I post a greeting to them and wait for a response and I get nothing, am I doing something wrong or not doing something right? it seems pretty straight forward but not working for me.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Otis, I just posted a question on another thread about the chat room but I'll ask here also, when I go into the chat room and it shows another member is there I post a greeting to them and wait for a response and I get nothing, am I doing something wrong or not doing something right? it seems pretty straight forward but not working for me.
:confused: The same thing happened to me last Monday nite, when I went into the chat room it said there was someone else there but I posted 2 messages and they never responded. I waited a while and someone else signed in and we were able to chat for a while but the other party never responded.
They were still signed on whe I signed off much later.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Hopefully that has been corrected, members being still logged in without being online, one of or members wanted to log into the chat and watch without chatting so I increased the time a person can stay logged in without chatting, so it made that member happy, but it automatically affected 2 other areas, one is it did not automatically log people out for an hour even if they did not post anything, second when people close out the chat room instead of logging out with the log out button, they just closed the brouser to exit, , so the chat room waited 1 hour before dropping thier name from the in chat list, so I set the chat room back to the original settings to correct the last 2 problems, so the bottom line is if you are in the chat room please try to participate by typing something every few minutes so you won't be dropped from the list. I also set more time for old messages to be displayed.

Hope this helps

Otis

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was the cause of the change otis made ... I'm not so sure the problem I was having was what otis 'fixed,' but I'll still take the blame :)

I find that the most bothersome part of joining a chat room is not knowing what was going on just before you get there, including not knowing if someone who appears to be logged on is still there or not -- lots of us say we're logging off when we do so, others probably just drop out.

Sure would be nice if we could enter the chat room and 'see' the last several minutes of chats. This would be good so we don't 'interrupt' an on-going discussion and also let us know what's going on so we can ask appropriate questions.

I use 'tabbed browsing' where I have several tabs in my browser all open to different websites. I might enter the chat room, see what's up, go to a different tab, do some posting, go back to the chat room tab (now I can see the discussion that was going on in my absence because I didn't log off), etc. My original problem was I would get logged off the chat room if I didn't post something every couple of minutes and sometimes I would be busy on a different tab for too long.

This sure is a long post that says nothing! :)

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
No blame to anyone just trying to make it work for everyone.

I have now set the chat room to display the last 15 minutes of messages when you login you should be able to see whats being talked about

Thanks for understanding

otis

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Otis; thanx for explaining what's going on, I'm one of the chatters that wasn't logging out I was just going back into another forum, now that I know I can log off properly to keep everyone from thinking I'm still in there.
I do like to keep 2-3 tabs open at a time like Mike so I can keep up with what's going on in other favorite places.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Otis for your continued attention to everyone's needs! I love the new feature of being able to see the past 15 minutes when I go into the chat room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts