Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's an inherent danger of naming a car/truck/object too early, then your stuck from that point forward. This is what's happened to me.

A Super Clean, Rust free 1956 Chevrolet 3100 Step-side truck kind of fell into my lap this spring, and as such, have been a little thrown off. Usually serious Gear Heads will map out a plan, design, even color years in advance, so the nothing's surprise, hell, they even have a name picked out..

Since me getting this so abruptly, I have no plan for Mods, no idea if this should be street racer or daily cruiser, No definitive color, and most off, no real direction to go.

I actually have a point here; I wanted to have a super cool name picked out for this truck before i started this build thread. The Thread Title would be easily recognizable, and everyone would come the know the truck a little bit better. That obviously didn't work out. I soon realized that if i waited for name, I would never start a thread. Since this is a cool truck, i wanted to document everything from the start.

One thing I do know for sure, I wanted this truck/project more than anything because it's truly something i can do with my 4 sons. Those guys are my whole world, and what better way to spend time together than to have them wrench on something they can be proud of, while teaching them valuable life lessons and skills..

In summation, I still had no idea what to name the thread, and still have NO idea on what to name the truck. Thanks for reading.

On to the Truck..

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These first pictures were taken about 6 months before i bought it. Like that interior!?

Really clean honest old truck. It's been messed with a bit, but someone has really taken there time on this one. It has a 4-5 year old frame-off Resto, Fresh yet quite ugly 327 with a cam.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was purchased through a friend of mine so i had great access to this truck before i bought it. I crawled underneath it, and noticed NO rust in any corner, and grade 8 bolts throughout.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The interior didn't bother me, as that easily fixable. The was clean, ran and drove great, so i bought it.

the rear Differential looked like it leaked pretty bad, so i knew that was in order first...

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Very nice!:congrats:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very nice truck Jeff, you and your boys are going to have lots of fun with it I'm sure. Congradulations.

Barry

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Cool truck, no comment on the interior.🐸
What's the box below the dash with all the buttons?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. Your right, there's not much "project" here, but were just going to drive it, and make it our own. The Boys are dying to get in a cruise, but since there's no seat belts whatsoever, they've never been? I just cruise around town here, and get all the tourists wide-eyed and pointing.

I took the truck to my killer mechanic, and he was thoroughly impressed. I thought the stock brakes felt a little spongy, he thought i was crazy. He said the 327 sounded great and that it definitely felt "cammie."

After we got back to his shop, He did tell me that I needed to look at the major rear end leak almost immediately, and since he repeated it three more times throughout the conversation, I felt it prudent to ay the least!

So, my first work on the build was a complete tear down of the rear axle differential for a proper reseal...fun. :hmpf:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some of you might recall some of my diff. posts a few weeks back; turns out even though i was able to unscrew the nuts on the lower front diff. posts, they were so far gone from years of abuse that i had hell getting them rethreaded. I had to cut a die in half, then use the die tool to rethread the bolts backwards.
Auto part Metal Spoke Rim Wheel

Wheel Spoke Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

It worked surprisingly well. After i got the axles and spider gears (is that the correct name?) back in, i used black RTV, new grade 8 hardware, and got it resealed 100%. Not one drop ever..!

Musical instrument

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Muffler

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool truck, no comment on the interior.🐸
What's the box below the dash with all the buttons?
Thanks! Yea, interior is "unique."

That box is some crazy "Electronic Musical Horn." It's supposed play songs, make your own up, etc. It's broken, and haven't looked at it yet. Weird.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Thanks! Yea, interior is "unique."

That box is some crazy "Electronic Musical Horn." It's supposed play songs, make your own up, etc. It's broken, and haven't looked at it yet. Weird.
Sounds like one of those things they used to sell in the JC Whitney catalog. i used to spend hours looking through that catalog, I kind of miss it, although now I think I would need a magnifying glass to read that small of print.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let's talk about the interior a second..Obviously the Anti-Christ manifested him(or her) self into human form, and opened up an upholstery shop. This disgusting bright green crushed velvet crap was everywhere!

While the RTV was setting up on the rear axle, i started pulling this crap out. Motor vehicle Vehicle door Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

As you can see, they even wrapped (literally) a piece of cardboard to hook up the lower section of the door..
Green Turquoise Textile Fashion accessory Rectangle

After get the door panel off and starting to strip off the sweet velvet, something quite evil happened... As if it couldn't get any worse, to PO before Satan had hooked up some killer custom leopard print!! i couldn't believe it! This POOR Truck!
Fur

It was so gross and stained, and rotted smelling, that i paid my nephew 3 bucks to pick it all up and put it in the trash..
Green Metal

Sweet huh?!? :sign0020:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Trashing that upholstery was the best thing to do.
Poor ol' truck. Must have been owned by a crack dealer at one time.
:sign0020:
Some black old school pleats would do it justice.
Great little hauler you have there. I'll be watching your progress.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.