Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! while I'm NOT building a Tri Five Chevy, you guys have helped me a bit in the past with questions, planning and locating parts, so I thought I'd see if you want to see the build itself. If this doesn't meet the forum's approval, just say so!
A while ago my friend Pete gave me his 56 Olds, as he was getting too old to work on it. It was a special gift, as my old boss and mentor did bodywork on it, and another friend I worked for briefly, and traveled with across the country to car shows, did the engine/trans swap to it. While I love Olds', I have a chopped 55, I have wanted to do this for a LONG time, build something unique, and bring back my old passion for the Chevies!
And so, the project begins!

Attachments

·
Registered
68,253 Posts
nice start, cool project. :anim_25:

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Yes! I'll watch! Love it when someone gets creative. This hobby is an art, few think of it that way.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I love all Classics..... looking forward to keeping up with this one ..... :anim_25:
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trying to figure out what's going to fit, what isn't and what we need to do to change it. There's SO much goin on here that it's hard to even know where to start!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Kinda looks like the Old's 7 inch longer wheelbase is going to make the Nomad roof length an interesting challenge. Shorten the Olds?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, with the roof temporarily on, it was difficult to figure out where everything was going to line up. SO off it came, and I put the quarter panel tops on. At least this would show me if the placement of the "B" pillars would put things in the right spot. It seems to be going well. But unfortunately, the quarter tops were part of a 2 roof buy I did years ago. The metal was so bad I put off building something with them (originally I thought about doing a 53 Lincoln, as I had 2 of them).
Today, the roof I bought did not have the quarter tops, so I do have to use the old ones. Blasting them showed how really bad they were. I can fix them, but it's a time consuming task.
Anyway, still measuring, and imagining where everything is going to wind up. and what we have to modify.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The saga continues!
Putting the "B" pillars on gave me more information on what I have to do, but not all. Put the roof back on.....and then decided it was too HIGH!
Chucked the "mild custom" plan, and went to "Concept car" mode.
Most concept cars had features that were incorporated into the production cars, but with more thought, or 'sleekness'. They were usually lower, and often looked chopped. The factory Buick Skylark in 53, actually DID have a lower roofline, even as a production car. So I decided to chop it. No matter how much more difficult it would make the build. And I'm sure it will!
Marked off for 1 1/2" of chop. Cut the "A" pillars. made 12" cuts on each side of the roof, and spread it to meet the A pillars. Used 3/4" tubing to reinforce the cuts line, plug welded above the below the cut lines, which are also carefully welded solid.

Attachments

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,464 Posts
One word Vision.....ya ether have it or you don't.....I believe you do, and it is the grease that will make it happen....

Enjoying this!

Mikey

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,464 Posts
One word Vision.....ya ether have it or you don't.....I believe you do, and it is the grease that will make it happen....

I'm enjoying this! I so want to graft a nomad rear roof section on my 55 glass Delivery. It may just happen yet.

Mikey

1 - 20 of 60 Posts