Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I heard about the Caddy I felt a bit disappointed. But seeing pics of it, so much of it is custom made, that it kind of loses a bit of the Nomad-ness. Still an amazing car, though!
So, after welding the A pillars solid, as well as the support behind the windshield, I decided to tackle the B pillar, instead of all that welding on the sheet metal up front.
The main choice to make was to keep the dip or not. Not wanting to make a mistake, I left it in, thinking it would be easier to remove it later, if I wanted, than to add it. So I welded in some 1/8" supports from the door jamb reinforcement, to the roof's. Then a templaet for a filler to replace the brazed joint, and make up the difference in height for the Olds dip.
I'm thinking I am starting to like the dip now. I was the one against it in the beginning.
The tricky part was moving the roof forward and back to get the B pillar lined up. And cutting it down bit at a time to sneak up on it matching the lower part. I prefer to butte weld everything whenever I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Been working on steadily, but not enough for pictures. Just a lot of rust repair. This will continue for a looooong time! The parts I had access to are in real bad shape, upper quarters, tailgate area....
I also got tired of the rear window area, and returned to the front. I had to finish welding the inner support, so I cut out part of the roof, welded the top of the support and welded the piece back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, a good friend located and brought me a parts 57 Safari to use. If the metal on the upper quarters is in good shape, I won't know til I take out the glass and stainless, I can use it to make the job go so much quicker! PLUS, I have all the glass, trim, interior stuff, back seat, that I need to make the car look like it's supposed to!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just found this great build idea and just love it.
Do you have any progress made in the last few months?
I'm hooked on this one for sure

Don

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
After reading this thread I'll never complain about how much rust repair I've had to do the last 4 months on my '39 Chevy coupe! I feel like a real slacker compared to what you're doing on this Olds-Nomad project!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I just found this great build idea and just love it.
Do you have any progress made in the last few months?
I'm hooked on this one for sure

Don
Still working on it. It's been tough making decisions on whether to use old rusty parts I have, or making new ones from scratch. A couple times I started with one idea and switched to another. It's almost like the car wants to be built completely from scratch.
The transition from Olds roof to Safari, has been VERY challenging! The width and curvature of the 2 parts did not match, and I've been pretty successful in getting them to meet up, but the extra tension on the flat part of the roofs, is making the welding process very difficult...as if welding a flat roof seam from side to side isn't difficult enough. Probably going to have to make a planishing hammer so I can address the weld seam without the stresses that hammer welding has on my hands. I've had surgery and my left is very weak, and can't grip well. Most hammers won't reach that deep into the center of the roof, so I'll have to have some tubing bent and make adapters.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I've liked your builds before and this one is over the top! This project definitely has some serious class.
I'm going to watch this happen. :tu

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Building alone certainly has it's challenges, like hammering that long roof joint without help! Seems to take 3-4 times as long to do some parts of a project. Hope the hand feels better, and you can keep plugging away at this build!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Challenging oneself to create a oneoff piece is a self reward. Mastering it on your own without a full blown shop pulling it off takes it to a another level. I'm sure you have equal time sitting in the thinking chair vrs. actual work. That is what drives one to follow through ....dream....think....work ....think some more. Congrats on the build :tu

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,848 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well, a good friend located and brought me a parts 57 Safari to use. If the metal on the upper quarters is in good shape, I won't know til I take out the glass and stainless, I can use it to make the job go so much quicker! PLUS, I have all the glass, trim, interior stuff, back seat, that I need to make the car look like it's supposed to!
How is the roof? Interested in selling it (the roof)?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, I'm still here, though I haven't updated in a while. Doing most of my posting on some Olds sites, Facebook... Well, I have done miles of welding, so much hammering, my hands hurt almost all the time, and actually got the majority of the outside of the body shell in primer. Where to start?
After building myself a planishing hammer to do the roof, I scrubbed the rest of it, to remove the surface rust, and got it in primer. Then went back to fabricating the area around the tailgate. And finishing the rotted out lower window channels.
Bumper Auto part
Water Bumper Automotive exterior Glass Plastic wrap
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Vintage car

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The interior sheet metal is totally different from the 2 door hardtops, so I fabbed some new stuff up. Also fixed some really bad bodywork that was d
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Fender
Vehicle Car
Vehicle Auto part
Tire Automotive tire
one on the hood long ago!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I know that is hard work but can I say that I wish I had the fabrication talents that some of you have. I've built around 20 cars or so, but never and body fab, it was drivetrain.

I really admire what people can create out of steel.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Filled the gas door, replaced some real bad collision damage,
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Vehicle door Auto part
Vehicle Car
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Used 56 Chevy patch panels to fix the rusted quarters, only had to modify the front of the wheel lip a bit. Installed NOS Foxcraft skirts.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts