Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
A couple things were bugging me and holding up progress. If Olds built a Nomad type wagon, it would have the top of the line trim package on it, like Chevy did using BelAir trim. Hunting up and buying Olds '98' stainless side trim, has been a real adventure. I finally pieced a full set together from Indiana, Michigan, Canada, and Sweden! Also had to install '98' tail lights, as they were very different. Also fixing the usual rot/poorly done repairs.

Bumper Auto part
Auto part Wheel Metal
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Subcompact car
Auto part

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My brother in law reminded me that my idea of just turning the gas filler around would put the fill neck into the interior of the car, not the trunk, like my 55 Olds. So i had to go to plan "B", put it behind the tail light, like a 56 Chevy. But cooler!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So here is pretty much where I'm at now. Most bodywork done, body shell in primer, and pulled off frame. Id di take the time to trial fit (tape on) some of the side trim I found. Now, on to r
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Classic
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automobile repair shop
Auto part Machine Vehicle
ebuilding the chassis, with a narrowed 76 Impala front frame. Discs, PS, PB, Impala 12 inch rear brakes adapted the the Olds rear (didn't feel like shortening the rear)

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,187 Posts
WOW, this is really looking like a car now. your vision is well layed out and looking fabulous, I will admit I was skeptical when you first started this but it is looking dam good. you should be very proud.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So here is pretty much where I'm at now. Most bodywork done, body shell in primer, and pulled off frame. Id di take the time to trial fit (tape on) some of the side trim I found. Now, on to r View attachment 324337 View attachment 324338 View attachment 324339 View attachment 324337 View attachment 324338 View attachment 324339 ebuilding the chassis, with a narrowed 76 Impala front frame. Discs, PS, PB, Impala 12 inch rear brakes adapted the the Olds rear (didn't feel like shortening the rear)
So here is pretty much where I'm at now. Most bodywork done, body shell in primer, and pulled off frame. Id di take the time to trial fit (tape on) some of the side trim I found. Now, on to r View attachment 324337 View attachment 324338 View attachment 324339 View attachment 324337 View attachment 324338 View attachment 324339 ebuilding the chassis, with a narrowed 76 Impala front frame. Discs, PS, PB, Impala 12 inch rear brakes adapted the the Olds rear (didn't feel like shortening the rear)
thats some beautiful job your doing elliot

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Man, I would have bought that roof....

I love your project
Actually, I did sell the roof off the 57 Safari parts car. It was a bit worse than the one I used on mine, but still salvageable. Had it advertised here,, on Facebook and Ebay last year.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks for the compliments, and encouragement! A long involved process like this really takes a lot of time, energy, spirit and money, and one gets depleted after a while. While I am working on the chassis, I had to switch gears for a while, and convert a 53 Lincoln 4 door sedan into a 2 door hardtop, and chop it, as well. Should be back on the Olds-Mad next week!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Actually, I did sell the roof off the 57 Safari parts car. It was a bit worse than the one I used on mine, but still salvageable. Had it advertised here,, on Facebook and Ebay last year.
Gotcha, mine isn't too bad, just a few small spots in the drip rails, probably very patchable, but I wouldn't mind having a replacement just in case. I wasn't back on this group until a few months ago after I inherited the Nomad from my late father.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
is that a chopped 53-4 Plymouth in the shop as well?
Yes, I built it for a young guy about 20 years ago. He stuck around the shop learning whatever He could, mechanics, welding, bodywork. etc. Now he is redoing the car (in my shop, with some help), more customization (53 Linc tail lights, and bumper, Packard type grill, hand hammered out of sheet, and now building a new frame, for all C4 Vette suspension. He's really good with metal now!
Also have the Barris custom 40 Ford, "Les PoPo" I'm finishing bodywork and doing paint on, Light blue Metalflake, with Candy Blue fogged edges.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Geez, I wanna visit. Olds is looking great, mad skills there. Have Nomad bits and trim here in Delaware if needed. That Plymouth will replicate the Barris 53 hardtop.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This build is absolutely amazing. Great job!

·
Registered
1955 Nomad
672 Posts
can't tell, but does the roof have the "ribs" on them? Looks smooth to me.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts