Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the winter to work on my "real" project, and the summer so far to tear apart a couple of old trucks that have been cluttering my yard (a special project for another time!!!!!), it's time to get back to Project "Parts Car".

Bought this more-door a few years ago for parts, but you know how it goes, really too good to part out, had a bunch of decent parts left from my frame-off project, so decided to build a reasonably solid warts-and-all, patina'ed, primer patched, beater type car, just for fun!!!

Made a bunch of my own patch panels, not too worried about making anything perfect. Was hoping to drive it this summer but $500.00 for a windshield is pretty much gonna kill that plan with current finances but will keep on pluggin' away.

Not sure how my piece-meal approach to this floor pan patch is going to work out, but it will definitely be better that it was.

Have a great summer!!!!!

Garry

Attachments

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
good to see you back at it garry. :tu

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drive it this summer???

Been a productive few days, got lots of progress on the floor pan, rear cross member, rocker panel, dog legs done. Amazing what a couple hours a night can get done when you spend some time over the winter making the patch panels.

Not sure if she'll see the road this summer, for sure needs a windshield to pass safety here, but is gonna be close.

Have a great weekend upcoming!!!!

Garry

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Awesome!!! I like it, but I'm partial to four doors and saving a car others wouldn't! On the windshield... I had the same issue and am on a $3500 rebuild budget... The 4-500 plus freight for the windshield was going to cripple the build. Then I thought, if it were my truck I wouldn't go online, I'd shop local glass shops, then I could avoid shipping costs. Worked out better than I thought cause I found one with a tinted strip for $180! They told me it would be $250 installed! I bought the glass and did it myself. Try local...:anim_25:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank

Thanks for all the positive comments, this has been a really fun project as it's been low budget, no pressure, and a really great way to get some experience with metal working.

Started of with a parts car purchase that ended up running and driving and actually being in better shape than the frame-off project in the shop. Add a bunch of extra parts that were fine for a driver but not quite good enough for the "real" project, and this is the result.

Broke down and bought the long rear brace and the rear tail pan support rather than trying to make or patch, but made all the other sections from a $90.00 4 x 8 foot sheet of 20 ga.

I am seriously thinking about taking the slightly chipped windshield out of the other car an putting that in this car, then buy a new one for the restoration when the time comes.

We will see how the rest of the metal work and the safety inspection goes.

Basically just got the dogleg areas to finish up as time permits.

Gonna try the eyebrows sometime, but that can always be done later.

Have a great weekend all!!!

Garry

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little closer again tonight

Got another couple hours of arc and grinder time in tonight after my little guys ball tournament, just that much closer.

Hopefully another couple of Saturdays will see the metal work done far enough to seal things up, paint the floor, and start putting the seats and stuff back in.

Basically just gotta finish the floor, seal things up, weld up the swap meet / Kijiji exhaust system, put the gas tank back in after welding is done, take it for inspection to check for any surprises, then figure out what to do with the windshield.

Have a great rest of your weekend, I'm off to Duluth for work tomorrow doing a service call Monday morning so no more car time for me.

Got a cold beer on the table and a steak ready for the BBQ, time to chill for the rest of the evening.

Garry

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
parts car

This is pretty much the same as mine, Except mine did need a few more things to make straight panels. I didn't have the heart to take it apart and sell things off it. Mine was a budget build also, Put a few more dollars than I wanted to but I'm glad I did on some things. Like you I bought the braces underneath the dog leg area and a couple odds and ends. Looking good, and good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Really cool project! love 150´s, great fabrication :congrats:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One More Piece of the Puzzle!!

Got a few more hours in on the old girl today, another step closer to the road!!

Have a great weekend.

Garry

Attachments

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Garry, going to be one solid ´56 for sure. I like your way to build from scratch, good work.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
:congrats: you are getting there just one bite at a time :anim_25: and keep it up and hope to see it finished soon:sign0020:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts