Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1280 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
Brief update. I purchased a new media blaster from Harbor Freight.
https://www.harborfreight.com/110-lbs-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-69724.html

Using Black Aluminum Oxide media, I stripped clean the exterior toe board, the front braces, the sides of the firewall, and the panels where the door hinges bolt up to. The blaster worked well, and got the job done fairly quickly. The next day, I epoxy primed the blasted areas. I can now say that every inch of the exterior of the body has been stripped to bare metal, and epoxy primed.

The weather here in Tampa is finally starting to cool down some, and the humidity is dropping as well, so, I got back to the body work by doing some filling/blocking/priming on the tail panel. I ended the weekend with shooting 3 coats of high build primer on it, and dusted it with a guide coat. I'll do the final blocking on it next weekend.

I've made a change in my choice for the exterior paint color. I've decided to paint the car black. For some reason, I just wasn't feeling the Torch Red for this car, and no other reds grabbed my attention, either. So, when in doubt, black it out!

I sent the throttle body and the alternator bracket out to Mirror Finish Polishing. I'll post pics of them tomorrow night.

·
Registered
65,762 Posts
black(my fav color) should look great Dave. :anim_25: .... got to get to my local HF, luv walking around that place. :gba:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,086
After taking a bunch of pics from different angles, I've come to the conclusion that polished or chrome parts don't photograph well! These pics really don't do justice to the really nice polish job on these parts.

·
Registered
65,762 Posts
can never have to much bling. nice work, looking good. :tu

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just spent 4 hours reading every word of your build.

Thank you for the taking the serious amount of time documenting this for us.

I look forward to every installment you give us.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Your going to need to increase your blocking time. 28 times is not enough. It will be wavy :sign0020: I'm liking the black idea :tu This car is going to be KILLER!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,092
Just spent 4 hours reading every word of your build.

Thank you for the taking the serious amount of time documenting this for us.

I look forward to every installment you give us.
Wow Robert, thank you for the kind words, and the positive feedback!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,093
Your going to need to increase your blocking time. 28 times is not enough. It will be wavy :sign0020: I'm liking the black idea :tu This car is going to be KILLER!
LOL Thanks, man! Now you've set the bar really high for me! I hope I can deliver! :p3:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,094 (Edited)
Building a car is more than just buying parts, you have to buy the tools to gitter done. I had been getting by with cheap mini spray guns in the $25 to $30 range for years. When they give me problems, I chuck them and order another one. The last one put me over the edge, because all of a sudden it started dripping paint somewhere behind the trigger, and dripping paint can create a disaster. (in case someone asks, yes, I checked the nut, and it was tight) So, I decided to spend a little more, and I got this Sharpe FX1000. It's actually a little bigger than a standard size mini gun, more of a middy, if you will. I bought it with plans initially to paint the firewall/cowl area, and the dash with it. It can spray up to a 9" fan, so it should be good for those areas. It came with a tiny 6 oz cup, which is too small for spraying a firewall or dash, so I picked up a 20 oz cup.
To spray the rest of the car, I'll be using my tried and true DeVilbiss GFG-670 Plus.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095
Today, I applied for a custom plate for my '57. My first choice was BICHN 57, but it was rejected, because they thought someone might find BICHN offensive. Whatever....... :thumpdown: They accepted my second choice, EV1L 57. I had to use a 1 instead of an I, because that was already taken. I figure the car will be black with a slight rake, so it will look a little bit evil. Since I'm a flag waving American, I spent the extra coin for the patriotic plate.

The weather has finally cooled down here, which means I'm back doing body work. The front part of the rotisserie was in the way of filling and blocking the firewall, so I built a horse to temporarily hold up the front of the body. I will use the horse again when it comes time to painting the firewall.

With the initial filling and blocking done, I sprayed one coat of epoxy primer, followed by 3 coats of 2K high build primer.

I welded up several un-needed holes on the firewall, and I welded the V-shaped brake pedal assembly support to the firewall.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Goes without saying, but I will say it anyhow......

Looks GREAT! Cannot wait to see color on this one.:congrats:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,098
Thanks, John and Unkie! I'm hoping to begin the paint process by the end of next month, starting with the firewall/cowl area.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
The last one put me over the edge, because all of a sudden it started dripping paint somewhere behind the trigger, and dripping paint can create a disaster. (in case someone asks, yes, I checked the nut, and it was tight) So, I decided to spend a little more, and I got this Sharpe FX1000.
Did you check the nut behind the trigger? :sign0020: :sign0020: :sign0020:

1081 - 1100 of 1280 Posts