Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1394 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,708 Posts
I would be as nervous as a whore in church working around the\at new paint!! looks great keep up the great work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Dave, great work. The door gaps are looking really good. Its going to look very nice once they are painted. Keep it up, you are inspiration to us all.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,347 (Edited)
I was a nervous wreck putting bumpers on a painted car. Doing doors would likely push me over the edge 😜
The key is double layers of masking tape everywhere. Also, before we install the doors, I cut up 2 inch long sections of 3/8" rubber fuel hose, slice them on one side, and slip several of them over the bottom and side edges of the door. They help in two ways: they prevent door edge to painted surface contact, plus they help with initial gapping.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,348
I bolted the hood on the car today, so I could get my fenders lined up where they need to be. With that done, I could then work on the gaps between the door and fenders. Well, once the hood was on, I discovered that the hood, even with the centter hood brace removed, still hits the top of the Hi-Ram. Something has to give, and it isn't going to be the Hi-Ram. So, I along with my friend and neighbor who happens to have lots of metal forming tools, decided that we're going to fabricate a sheet metal cowl induction scoop. I don't like any of the commercially availables ones, mainly because they have a peak in the middle of them. I want mine to be flat on top. I also want it low, somewhere between 1.5" and 2" tall. My buddy is going to TIG it to my hood, which we agreed is the way to go, because he can control the heat, thus minimizing warpage to the sheet metal.

I've already cut a starter hole, so there's no turning back now! I'm committed!

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,353
I added a subwoofer system that consists of a Kicker 10" dual voice coil sub, and a Rockford Fosgate 500W RMS mono amp. I built the box out of 3/4" MDF, glued and screwed together. Internal volume is 1.1 cubic feet. I had some leftover Raptor Liner, so I finished it with 3 coats of it.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,356
How did you make the slots? I will need to do this to my passenger side.
First, I drilled two holes, and then used a Dremel with a tiny cutting wheel to rough cut a slot from one hole to the other. I have a set of various sized and shaped cutting burrs for the Dremel, and I used some of them to bring the rough cut slot to final size. Fortunately, I had my original doors to to measure what the actual slot dimensions needed to be. Its weird, one original door had 4 slots, the other door had 7 slots.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,357
With all of the initial filling and blocking done on the hood, today I sprayed 2 more coats of high build primer on it. Next, I'll fog on a guide coat, and hopefully this next round of blocking will be the last.

Regarding the cowl scoop, I formed and welded in 3/16" round bar stock to the back edge of it, to add stiffness, and to give it the look of a rolled edge.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,750 Posts
Looking cool!!

1341 - 1360 of 1394 Posts