Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1394 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,750 Posts
Thanks. A cowl hood on a '57 isn't everybody's cup of tea, but that's OK by me! My '57 is far from stock anyway.
I dig it. The spacing between the hood rockets can sometimes beg for something to be put there, a cowl part looks just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,362
I dig it. The spacing between the hood rockets can sometimes beg for something to be put there, a cowl part looks just fine.
For the record, the way I did it, I encountered almost no warpage whatsoever. I cut out the hole undersized, and step flanged the edge around the hole. That feature added some stiffness to the sheet metal. The flanges on the cowl sat down into the stepped flange, and flush to the hood surface. I tack welded away.........sloooooowly.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Thanks. A cowl hood on a '57 isn't everybody's cup of tea, but that's OK by me! My '57 is far from stock anyway.
I love a cowl induction scoop, and they surprisingly look good on several different cars. But I think the '57 is the only one of the Tri-Fives it really 'works' on - your hood proves it does!
JR

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ya gotta do what you gotta do! I was surprised when you showed it didn't fit. I've seen what I'm pretty sure was the same manifold fit under a stock hood (57Kid, IIRC, though I havent seen him around here in a while; I did see him racing his car at Bandimere and talked to him for a bit). I guess there are simply differences in mounts and in the cars themselves.

Keep up the great work!

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,366
Ya gotta do what you gotta do! I was surprised when you showed it didn't fit. I've seen what I'm pretty sure was the same manifold fit under a stock hood (57Kid, IIRC, though I havent seen him around here in a while; I did see him racing his car at Bandimere and talked to him for a bit). I guess there are simply differences in mounts and in the cars themselves.

Keep up the great work!
When I had set up my engine and trans, I raised the engine up a little bit, to increase ground clearance with the headers, oil pan, and the deep trans pan. At that time, the engine had the stock LS3 intake. So, that explains why mine didn't clear the hood.

·
Registered
1957 210 2 Door
9 Posts
Good to know, I was starting to rethink my plans for my LS combo after seeing you had to cut the hood. About how much did you end up raising everything up?

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,368
Good to know, I was starting to rethink my plans for my LS combo after seeing you had to cut the hood. About how much did you end up raising everything up?
I really don't know. At the time, I used "eyeball engineering". If it helps you, I could give you an approximate vertical measurement from the center of the balancer to the top of the crossmember. Message me if you want it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The hood looks good. Back in the day a friend of mine put cowl induction lumps on everything he owned. he even had one on a 40 ford sedan delivery at one time. My favorite hood lump was the one on the 67 L88 vette. I had one on a 66 chevelle.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,372
My goal is to body work and paint the doors, fenders, splash panels, hood, radiator support parts and the inner fender panels by the end of March. So far, I've got the hood fully blocked and sanded to 220 grit, on both sides. The splash pan as well as the splash pan extensions have also been blocked and sanded to 220. When they are sanded to 320, they will be ready for paint.

·
Registered
1957 Bel air
46 Posts
Project "Return To Tubby's": Dave's '57 2dr Sedan Resto-Mod Build

I named this build, Return To Tubby's, because as many of you trifivers may know, Project X was featured in the movie The Hollywood Knights. Back in the day, I had seen that car in Hot Rod magazine a few times, but when I saw it roll into Tubby's Drive-In, with the sound of the blower whine, and the general look of it, I was instantly hooked on '57's. That movie came out the year I graduated from high school. Full disclosure, I was a Mopar guy for most of my life, so those are the cars that I had built. My last project was something entirely different, a custom, ground-up build of a 1989 Jeep Wrangler. My wife said that was my last project car, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Well, to be honest, I couldn't leave this Earth with a Jeep as my last build. I needed to make the last build a classic hot rod. So, I wore down the wife and she finally gave me permission to do one last project. She's a Chevy gal, so convincing her to build a '57 Chevy wasn't too difficult. The only caveat was, I had to sell the Jeep to help fund the '57 build. No problem, since I needed the garage space for the '57 anyway. I immediately put the Jeep up for sale, and began my search for a suitable '57 roller.
I didn't want to buy a complete running car for three reasons. One, it would cost more. Two, I would be paying for a bunch of parts that I would be replacing anyway. And three, generally speaking, a stripped down body is much easier to inspect for rust issues.
I found this roller on craigslist. Compared to a pair of rust bucket '57's that one shady character had outright lied to me about regarding their condition, this one is incredibly solid, with zero rot. Here's the back story on it:

It lived almost all of its life in Alabama. It has 80,006 original miles. It was built in Flint, MI. It orignally was painted Sierra Gold with Adobe Beige roof. It had the Delray interior with imitation leather upholstery in tan and copper. The gentleman who sold it to me had tried many times over the years to buy the car from an old lady that owned it and drove it just twice a week, but she didn't want to part with it. Somehow, several years later, the car landed in a restoration shop in Chattanooga, TN. While it was there, the body was put on a rotisserie, had new floor pans installed, and the body was blocked straight and given a coat of black epoxy primer. The frame and suspension parts appear to have been media blasted, epoxy primed and painted, and new bushings and ball joints installed. However, in the middle of this restoration work, the shop went belly up for unknown reasons. The contents of the business were auctioned off, and the seller was finally able to buy the car he wanted so badly, and its parts. He kept it for about a year, and eventually realized that he didn't have the time to work on and finish the '57, so he put it up for sale. I purchased the car, all of the parts, plus the rotisserie that it was on, for $7,500.

The basic build theme is to restore the exterior to original. The interior will be mostly original, except the front bench seat will be replaced with a pair of bucket seats from a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Lokar automatic shifter living between them. Underneath will be a 480HP LS3 crate engine, rebuilt 4L80E automatic with a 3,000 stall converter, and 9" Ford rear with 4.11 gears...because, "with 4.11 gears, she can really get lost!" :)

This is my first tri-five build, which means I've got a steep learning curve, but I'm up to the challenge. I really enjoy the build process. When I was a kid, I loved building models, and this is just a big model to me. I'll be asking lots of questions from you guys as the build progresses. So, with that said......let the fun begin!!

How she sits at the moment.

You got a heck of a find for that price. Good luck with the build!!

·
Registered
1957 Bel air
46 Posts
I painted the inside of the dash and the underside of the cowl with POR-15. Per hotrodg726's advice, I left about 1" unpainted where welding of the firewall will take place.

But, the big news of the day is, my Foose rear wheels came in this morning. These are his Nitrous II wheels. They measure 18x10, with a 4" backspace. These are polished aluminum, not chrome plated.
I'll buy the fronts later. Those will probably be 18x7.

I would be VERY interested on the Foose wheels you picked. On my project, I've picked out the exact same model wheel for my Art Morrison frame with 18" in front and 20" in back.

·
Registered
1957 Bel air
46 Posts
I painted the inside of the dash and the underside of the cowl with POR-15. Per hotrodg726's advice, I left about 1" unpainted where welding of the firewall will take place.

But, the big news of the day is, my Foose rear wheels came in this morning. These are his Nitrous II wheels. They measure 18x10, with a 4" backspace. These are polished aluminum, not chrome plated.
I'll buy the fronts later. Those will probably be 18x7.

·
Registered
1957 Bel air
46 Posts
I got a little farther on the wiring and prepping for the first fire up of the engine. I built a stand to mount everything: the fuse/relay panel, the ECM, a battery, oil pressure gauge, igntion switch, and the throttle pedal. The battery tray is a leftover piece I had in my garage from my last project, an '89 Jeep Wrangler.

Dave could you give me the model number and manufacturer of the the aluminum fuel rails you put on this engine? I looked at what was available from Holley and couldn't find anything but black.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,377
Dave could you give me the model number and manufacturer of the the aluminum fuel rails you put on this engine? I looked at what was available from Holley and couldn't find anything but black.
Thanks,
Mine are black. I believe every fuel rail from Holley is black. If you want a different color, you can soak them in sodium hydroxide to remove the black anodizing. I don't know the part number, they came with the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,379
Got some epoxy priming done on the hood, splash pan, splash pan extensions and a couple other parts. I like doing the final wet sanding to 320 grit on this epoxy primer. 320 is as fine as I need to go with the single stage paint I use.
In the background, you can see the Astro brand paint stand I just purchased a few days ago. I bought it mainly to paint my hood, and maybe the trunk lid, but obviously its great for smaller parts as well. I like the idea of being able to paint all sides of the hood and trunk lid at the same time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looking Great! Cannot wait to see this one finished!

Reactions: Bitchin'57
1361 - 1380 of 1394 Posts