Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys & gals! Looking for some help here. :help: I'm trying to develop a bit of a timeline for a re-build. I know each and every one of these builds are unique, depending on how far you want to take it and how deep your pockets are or aren't! Here's what I have so far for a list. Feel free to comment and make changes, based on your reasoning. There's a couple of things I'm not too sure on the what order they should be in, but I'll wait until I see some feedback to determine if I was thinking along the same lines or not.

Thanks,

Dave
:bowtieb:

Project Timeline:

1a. Gather up ziplock baggies, sharpies, tape, camera, storage bins and log book. Purchase the following two items to help with the restoration:
How to Restore Your 1957 Chevy - Done
1955-1957 CHEVY FACTORY ASSEMBLY MANUAL CD - Done
1. Prep motor for storage - Done
2. Strip out interior - Done
3. Remove all trim, bumpers & hardware - Done
4. (Placeholder)
5. Remove front end sheet metal & heater equipment - Done
5a. Disconnect linkages to engine, gas, brake, transmission. - Done
5b. Remove steering wheel and column. - Done
5c. Drain and disconnect fuel tank. It will be easier to remove once the body's off the frame. Done
6. Remove door glass, side glass, front & rear glass - Done
7. Disconnect all electrical items - Done
8. Remove front doors - Done
9. Brace body and door openings, When making your door braces, add a drop down support that bolts to your seat mounting bolts. This will add to your stability and also give you the correct height of your floor pan. Done
10. Purchase body mount kit and replacement hardware Done
11. Purchase one piece floor pan with inner rocker attached Done
12. Soak body mount fasteners with penetrating oil - Done
13. Repair fenders if possible -
13c. Remove motor & transmission, if required - Done
14. Remove body from chassis - Done
15. Remove cooling system - Done
16. Remove drive train from chassis - Done
17. Remove gas tank from body - Done
18. Remove front suspension and steering components - Done
19. Remove rear end and suspension - Done
20. Clean, repair, paint suspension & drive train components as required - Done
21. Purchase:
a. Front disc brake system - Done
b. Rear drums, shoes, wheel cylinder - Done
c. Brake lines - Done
d. Gas lines - Done
e. 505 steering box
f. Suspension re-build kit - Done
22. Clean, repair and paint frame, install crossmember for the shocks - Done
23. Front - install new brakes, steering, suspension parts - Done
23a Rear - install new brake components onto backing plate, install gears into rear end, install backing plates and axels into rear end - Done 11/27/16
23b Install hard brake lines
24. Install gas lines
25. Purchase any new items required for drive train, cooling & exhaust (TDB)
25a Clean engine, do a compression test and a leak down test, repaint and re-assemble with new parts
26. Re-install drive train
27. Re-install cooling system
28. Install exhaust system
29. Ensure drive train starts & functions, then prep motor for storage
30. Cut floor out of body and cleanup for re-installation - Done
31. Mount new floor pan to chassis using new mounting hardware - Done
32. Re-install body to new floor pan, check position and weld into place. Do any needed repairs to the frame, then install new floor pan and put your body back on with your new body mounts. reinstall doors adjust all gaps and then tack weld your new floor pan. Use your door as your template to install new outer rockers. When all gaps are where you want them, finishing your welding, don't get to carried away move from side to side and keep checking your door gaps as you go. If your quarters need repair now is the time to do it, keep in mind your door is what needs to fit and make all your repairs with door fitment being your priority.
32B. Repair/replace outer rockers
32C. Reinstall dog house and do final check of hood fender alignment
33. Repair/replace trunk pan as required - Moved from Position 36
34. Remove body from chassis for further body work
35. Repair/replace rear quarters as required
36. Repair/replace wheel wells as required
37. Repair/replace any other significant areas as required
38. Repair/replace metal as required on the doors
38A. Put body back onto frame, re-assemble trunk lid, doors, fenders, hood, etc. Ensure proper fitment and alignment. Installing the trunk lid usually involves some "gorilla twists" and/or bending to make sure it fits. Reinstall dog house and do final check of hood fender alignment. One bit of advise prior to removing any parts, when you have everything fitting the way you want it, take 1/8" drill and drill a hole in all your hinges ,,,, yes door,hood and trunk and cowl. after all your parts are painted and your ready to install them, use an awl and go through the previously drilled holes and you will be very surprised how well things line up.
39. Prep body, doors, hood & decklid for epoxy sealer
40. Purchase epoxy sealer
40A. Seal vehicle, check for metal finish issues and repair, re-seal as required. when complete, dis-assemble for paint
41. Purchase paint and associated items
42. Apply two-tone base coat to all
43. Apply top clear coat all
44. Re-mount body to the chassis
45. Install electrical
46. Purchase any required interior components (TDB)
47. Install deadener & interior components
48. Install glass
49. Install front end sheet metal
50. Purchase any new trim & hardware items (TDB)
51. Install trim, bumpers & hardware
52. Install tires & wheels
53. Complete front end alignment
54. Arrange for Safety Inspection
55. Arrange for Insurance
56. Put plates on car and go for a drive

·
Registered
607 Posts
dont forget ziplock baggies,sharpies,tape and a camera. I take tons of pics when doing a build, it not only documents the build but it can remind you later where that bracket went when you have no clue where it came from!:sign0020:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have one section of my shop that I use just for car take down, I use part
bins for each part of the car. examp.. one bin has everything off of the driver
door, lock, trim ,windows, hinges ect. I do a complete tear down, then go through each bin an clean and rework the parts, making a list of damage
and bad parts as I go.:anim_25:

·
Registered
745 Posts
17. Remove gas tank from chassis
The gas tank is fastened to the body so you need to pull it before the body comes off the chassis.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Item #47, be sure to include 'sound deadner' install throughout interior while its bare. Like Dynamat or the like?

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,778 Posts
Excellent, well thought out, plan Dave :anim_25:....Wish I would have thought of it....I would have never started on mine :sign0020:

·
Administrator
48,900 Posts
dont forget ziplock baggies,sharpies,tape and a camera. I take tons of pics when doing a build, it not only documents the build but it can remind you later where that bracket went when you have no clue where it came from!
Some very good advice in that post.
Terry

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
dont forget ziplock baggies,sharpies,tape and a camera. I take tons of pics when doing a build, it not only documents the build but it can remind you later where that bracket went when you have no clue where it came from!:sign0020:

yep, bag and tag, thats what Ive always done, other wise YEKS, I some times forget too :happy0030:
good idea on camera :tu

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
If you are going to brace it, I would brace it before you remove the doors to make sure the gaps are right.
I didn't do this and have to rehang the doors before I brace mine. One step to avoid repeating a process.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are going to brace it, I would brace it before you remove the doors to make sure the gaps are right.
I didn't do this and have to rehang the doors before I brace mine. One step to avoid repeating a process.
Noted and added to the list Dave! :tu

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent, well thought out, plan Dave :anim_25:....Wish I would have thought of it....I would have never started on mine :sign0020:
:sign0020:
I know guys....but based on what you know I don't think it would have you, what about the end result?? lol I'm trying to learn from what everyone's done and try to help make it somewhat easier. I'm sure they're be days ahead where I say, "Why am I doing this??" Then I'll just look at some of your finished cars and reminded myself of what the final outcome can be! :tu

Dave

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
If you are going to replace the floor and do it with a complete floor with braces;1 it is cheaper that way,2 the inner rockers are welded in already,3 it should be quicker and easier.
So your list will be altered because of that.
You also might find it make sense to go a different order depending on time or money or parts availability.
It's a good list to start with.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are going to replace the floor and do it with a complete floor with braces;1 it is cheaper that way,2 the inner rockers are welded in already,3 it should be quicker and easier.
So your list will be altered because of that.
You also might find it make sense to go a different order depending on time or money or parts availability.
It's a good list to start with.
I wasn't sure if the inner rockers were attached, I hadn't looked that close yet, thanks Dave! I'll change that!

Dave

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Subscribed....

This is a great post for when I find a car.

Only question I have is can the body be removed while the engine is still attached to the frame or must the engine be removed first?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts