Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
All I could think while he's talking about how important this swap is to hotrodding, and how do they "soften it" for traditional hotrodders, was blah, blah, blah. I could care less.
I'd be interested in the EV swap into just an average hotrod, but to take the iconic Project X and do this to it is a sin in my mind. Not like there's not a huge number of other cars they could have used for the platform.
I sure hope his comment about this EV swap being the last swap for Project X is totally wrong! I hope after it's shown around and gets bad comments, they come to their senses and put the new 632 crate engine, and an 8-71 supercharger on top and put it into Project X. Then take the EV unit and stuff it in a Pacer.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sign of the times, I guess. Not something I’m excited to see. On the one hand, it IS consistent with what Project X was always supposed to be. On the other hand, it might have just “innovated” itself outside of my interest.
There have been incarnations of the car before now that I didn’t love.
I think most of us get old to the point where we are resistant to change (I’m still mourning the loss of the manual transmission!), so I’ll blame the lack of interest on myself rather than the folks doing this. I wish them luck. Dispassionately.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see this happen, but I never expected it with Project X. That said, I think it's going to become much more common in the next few years. The flathead guys resisted the change to OH engines, and a great number of OH purists are still against the LS movement. Although the EV technology is constantly improving, it has a long way to go (IMHO) before it takes over in the hot rod world. For the time being, I'll continue on with the build of my multi-carb'd, 6-71 supercharged small block.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,201 Posts
Before and after engine pics:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I guess we might be seeing this innovation in its infancy. When it can be done by an electrical engineer for $20k, and it goes 10s in a 4,000 lb driving weight with a 250 mile range, I’ll be interested. Not enough to do it, maybe, but interested.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
…and I imagine I’ll be like those old flat head guys: patiently smiling as you explain to them that the OHV is “better” in every measurable way, as if he was privy to some deeper knowledge that I will never fully understand.

1 - 20 of 310 Posts