Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, does anyone have experience with using propane in their AC systems? Supposed to be compatable with R12 and R132. I have added Envirosafe (in a R12 system) which is mostly R134 with an additive that makes it compatable with R12, it worked well, however it is about 5X's the cost of propane! A guy that worked for me charged his AC system with propane and it has performed great for several years.

Also, have any of you had experience with Enviorosafe (a substitute for R12, but much more economical)? Many thanks, TJN/56NOMAD
PS Obviously propane is flamable but so is R12 and R134.:gba:

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
The refrigerants like R12 then R134a have been around for a long time, & been proven to work well with air conditioning systems.

I have heard of propane been used but would not use it. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Put propane in an AC in a Mercury, but didn't find out it was dangerous until a few years later......:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
There are more than enough risks of fire under the hood for me to ever consider propane as a substitute for refrigerant never mind the risk of a leak in the passenger compartment. I don't smoke but any ignition source would spell disaster in a confined space! I wonder what the DMV, DOT, and the NFPA and fire Department would have to say about it's use. I know there are vehicles that use it for fuel but keep in mind that they are placarded hazardous. Nope...not me!

Don
The Fireman

·
Registered
37,243 Posts
Seems like one of the R12 alternatives (Freeze12 maybe?) is mostly propane.

I know some guys that were using it back in the 90s when R-12 was being phased out.

For me, it's just too easy (and relatively inexpensive) to convert an R-12 system to R-134 and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yowser, A time bomb is right. Spring a leak and boom up goes the car.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I really don't think springing a leak is the danger, The real danger is a front end collision. Collapsing metal, sparks, boom.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I really don't think springing a leak is the danger, The real danger is a front end collision. Collapsing metal, sparks, boom.
See I think a leak in the A/C evaporator that could lead to a build up of propane in the passenger compartment is the real hazard here. I've fought more car fires where fire fueled by gasoline under the hood presented no real extinguishment problems. And it is extremely rare to have a car fire that "explodes". Most often what people think is an explosion is actually the tires popping. BUT a pressurized propane fuel fire in the passenger compartment or an explosive atmosphere in the confined space of the passenger compartment caused by a build up of propane from a slow leak....well that scares the snot out of me both as a driver and a firefighter. I have trained for and fought propane fires and they are very scary. A Blevy is not fun! As I said...not for me!

Don

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Collisions would be a big factor, but systems need recharging periodically. Cars vibrate that causes system leaks. Even static conditions like home or buisness, where very little or no vibration is evident, systems leak.

Using freon which the system was not designed for causes problems. Expansion valves need to match the refrigerant used. R-12 compressor will not work properly with other freons. Lubrication is a big issue.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
propane as a refrigerant

Gary, thanks for the info! TJN:gba:
Thanks guys for all of the comments regarding propane for an AC system! I decided to (re) order Envioro-safe refrigerant at $4.00+ per 5oz. can including shipping. I used it several years ago and it worked fine. Many thanks guys! TJN/56NOMAD:gba:

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I just bought three cans of R134a to do my 55 wagon at NAPA for 7.49 a can. Only 10 bucks difference.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Put propane in an AC in a Mercury, but didn't find out it was dangerous until a few years later......:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

I think it would be O.K. to put it in a Mercury,just don`t put it in your trifive. :sign0020: bowtie-trifive :gba:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts