Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1956 BelAir 4 door sedan. I have installed front disc brakes and have kept the stock rear drums. I added a power brake booster with a proportioning valve. I have driven the car about 8000 miles since I put these parts on and I purchased them as a kit for 55-57 Chevy's. The problem up until today was that I was not getting brake balancing like I was hoping for. I felt the rear wheels would lock up and the front was not braking enough. I was thinking of getting an adjustable proportioning block. Today my brakes went out. Brake fluid started leaking out the front of the proportioning valve. The valve I have now looks like Danchuk #2521A. What adjustable valve would you all recommend and what else should I be looking at to fix my problem? Thanks a lot for all of your assistance, jerry

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Unless you are into racing I would stay with what you now have. A local parts store should have a new one to replace the one you now have. Just my thoughts on this.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
The proportioning valve could very well be the problem. If the shuttle in the valve partially blocks the caliper ports, the rear will get more breaking than the front.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
I agree, the problem could easily have been that particular valve.

The GM style combination valves aren't easy to find at an auto supply, not many carry them. CPP is a good place to get one.

For the adjustable valve, Wilwood makes a good one. In fact it's the only name brand one I know of. The rest are Chinese copies of the Wilwood. You can get the Wilwood valve any place that sells hot rod parts. Summit and Jeg's have them if you don't have a local source.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
If you have a fluid loss at one end of the system, that causes the valve to slide that way, blocking off one port, causing braking only one end of the car. Even if you put fluid in your still going to need to bleed that valve, to get the valve back into the center position, to restore equal pressures to both ends. That being said, I suggest you buy an adjustable valve, as your rear brakes and front brakes may not be as balanced as they should. This adjustment would allow to fine tune your braking system. Well worth the extra pesos. :anim_25:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts