Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This does not apply directly to Tri-5's but the technique used probably could.

I'm in the process of restoring an kid's scooter that has been in the family for decades. When it came to me it was pretty rusty. The frame of the scooter is chrome pipes. Using every trick I could think of, I was able to bring back 95% of the sheen and am pretty happy with the final result.

Now that I polished the rust out, I'd like to seal the finish with something so that it doesn't flash rust the next time it sees any moisture. I tried coating an inconspicuous spot with clear Tremclad paint but after drying for a couple days it's quite easy to scratch the paint off with a thumb nail. The chrome surface is way too slick for the paint to adhere.

Anybody out there have any tricks that might help with this situation? I should mention as well that this will be put back in use with the next generation of little ones so the finish can't be oily or sticky.

Before:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Bicycle tire Plant

After:

Automotive tire Asphalt Bumper Road surface Wood

Reactions: chevman57

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,076 Posts
I’m a big fan of just keeping it wiped down with WD40 and the occasional scrub with 0000 steel wool.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The below is from the Gibb's website blog - haven't tried it as a chrome protectant so far; but use it on aluminum and stainless as such, as well as on steel fasteners that will not be painted (threads, shafts) to protect from corrosion. Unlike WD-40 it doesn't leave any residue. Seems like it would be worth the try...

GIBBS BRAND; THE BEST PROTECTION FOR CORRODED AND PITTED CHROME.
2-1942-packard-180-rollston-town-car-david-patterson stacks_image_639 (1)
Gibbs Brand will provide an invisible long-lasting coating of protection that will penetrate deep into pitted areas neutralising any corrosion. BEST OF ALL: It can be buffed dry, leaving no sticky dirt-attracting residue!
www.gibbsbrand.info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts