Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like PS is in the future. Car is 56 Bel Air Sedan- (in Sig below)

Saw this linked in a recent thread:

https://authenticautomotive.net/power-steering-kits/ #PS-088B

How is this kit in relation to doing a full Power Steering retrofit with a 600 box and short column, etc.??

Looking for quick install and solid results (this is not an autocross car)- Just want to make the car easier to move around for a 70+ year old. (parallel parking, etc...)

Want to know if for $1300 it gives comparable feel and response coupled with ease of install or if I'm better off spending less, getting a better feel but with considerably more work?

·
Premium Member
13,204 Posts
this is a reasonable and complete kit and Steve is awesome for customer support. I would never us a 605 box.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
That kit is the best way to go if you don't want to replace the standard box and the steering column.

As I remember you already replaced the harmonic balancer for an AC application. This kit should be an easy bolt on kit that will not require the issues with the 600 box and column. It will give the same feel and function as the 600 box.

I have installed both of those kits on customers cars with zero problems.

Steve is a long time friend and your cannot get better parts and service ANY WHERE.

Mikey

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the info I was looking for. I was hesitant to purchase an assist if the real deal is better. Unfortunately, as much as we'd like to save money, if I am to assist in the install- I need to fly down to FL and will only have a few days.

I don't have the luxury of taking my time. So, I guess we bite the bullet and spend a little more. As long as it makes the car significantly easier to handle...

Thanks for the input.

BTW, Mikey: Can you give me an idea of how long this install should take? All the stuff that I would need to touch is likely brand new so no problems with rusted bolts, etc. Just looking for a ballpark so I can plan.

Anyone else want to chime in? Open to all opinions and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
14,993 Posts
You should easily be able to install the kit from Authentic Automotive you linked in a day.

I'll also say Steve is the best person to deal with on any P/S issues or questions, His customer service and parts are first class. :tu

·
8,899 Posts
This is the info I was looking for. I was hesitant to purchase an assist if the real deal is better. Unfortunately, as much as we'd like to save money, if I am to assist in the install- I need to fly down to FL and will only have a few days.

I don't have the luxury of taking my time. So, I guess we bite the bullet and spend a little more. As long as it makes the car significantly easier to handle...

Thanks for the input.

BTW, Mikey: Can you give me an idea of how long this install should take? All the stuff that I would need to touch is likely brand new so no problems with rusted bolts, etc. Just looking for a ballpark so I can plan.

Anyone else want to chime in? Open to all opinions and suggestions.
If I remember from your thread you had rebuilt most of the front suspension, so adding this to the engine compartment should not be difficult.

The only difficult part will be to lift/support the front of the engine to remove the driver side front motor mount bracket bolted to the motor. The new bracket Steve will provide will bolt in its place. This holds the new pump. All the rest will be remove and swap. Connect everything, fill the system, bleed, check for leaks and adjust accordingly.

Mikey

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Sounds easy. The motor mounts are new as well. Wasn't hard at all so it should be a breeze.

Is this really as good as the box? I mean, it seems like a ton less hassle. With nearly comparable price (give or take a few hundred bucks)

Heck, my dad might be able to install this by himself- maybe the help of a grandson...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just take into consideration that you will not be able to upgrade to an alternator OR disc brakes.

The generator/PS interferes with the location of the disc brake vacuum booster.

If you're 70yo, ya might want to have excellent brakes.

Remember the good old days when you started pumping your drum brakes 100 feet from where you wanted to stop? With today's fast pace, you won't have that luxury.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade.

·
8,899 Posts
Just take into consideration that you will not be able to upgrade to an alternator OR disc brakes.

Remember the good old days when you started pumping your drum brakes 100 feet from where you wanted to stop? With today's fast pace, you won't have that luxury.

The system he is planning to use has a lower mounted pump like the early 60's Chevy's used. So there will be no issue with any alternator he may have or use. This system is almost the same as used on early 60's Chevrolets and worked very well for many years.

Mikey

·
8,899 Posts
Cool. Sounds easy. The motor mounts are new as well. Wasn't hard at all so it should be a breeze.

Is this really as good as the box? I mean, it seems like a ton less hassle. With nearly comparable price (give or take a few hundred bucks)

Heck, my dad might be able to install this by himself- maybe the help of a grandson...
This system is almost exactly like what was used on the early 60's Chevrolet's. It worked for millions of owners for millions of miles.

Mikey

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got an alternator and disc brakes already on the car.

Just got of the phone with Jalapeno. I think his kit may be the way to go. Sounds very comprehensive and easy to install.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The system he is planning to use has a lower mounted pump like the early 60's Chevy's used. So there will be no issue with any alternator he may have or use. This system is almost the same as used on early 60's Chevrolets and worked very well for many years.

Mikey
Ok. As long as he already has disc brakes and an alternator.

·
Premium Member
14,993 Posts

It can be done. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,279 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts