Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to pull my gauge cluster and fix my seized speedometer. Put in a new speedo cable through the firewall first. I had to spend a lot of time washing it out with wd40 and spinning back and forth before I finally felt it was not binding and was smooth. Put a drop of sewing machine oil in the hole and put it all back together.

Speedo is working again, very slight jitter on the needle at 50+ mph but that might be normal if I recall.

Can I just say I hope it lasts a good long time because that is not a job I want to do again anytime soon.

·
Registered
67,729 Posts
sounds good bobby. :tu

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I always say at work, the second time I do it I'll be faster!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next up is putting in the heater control valve you so kindly sent me, and mainseal (gulp), and dual manual master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
50 miles and it is still working thankfully. This is the only car that I WANT to see miles piling up on the odometer. Need to know how far I am going since the top end rebuild, and obviously for maintenance monitoring.

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
Very cool! Just keep and ear and eye on the speedo. Future screeching noise means you need to go a little deeper in the speedo. Wildly jiggering means the same thing.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very cool! Just keep and ear and eye on the speedo. Future screeching noise means you need to go a little deeper in the speedo. Wildly jiggering means the same thing.
If this one goes anytime soon, I'm putting in a new one, pulling clusters is not the kind of thing I want to do on a regular basis~

·
Registered
96 Posts
I finally got a chance to pull my gauge cluster and fix my seized speedometer. Put in a new speedo cable through the firewall first. I had to spend a lot of time washing it out with wd40 and spinning back and forth before I finally felt it was not binding and was smooth. Put a drop of sewing machine oil in the hole and put it all back together.

Speedo is working again, very slight jitter on the needle at 50+ mph but that might be normal if I recall.

Can I just say I hope it lasts a good long time because that is not a job I want to do again anytime soon.
Blue and White 57 looks nice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts