Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 92 350 I am putting in my 57 wagon. I will be running just the water pump and alternator for now. Later I want to add power steering and A/C. I want to know which pulleys I need for now. I have read that you can get a serpentine system off of a 4.3 V6 s-10. I might do that later but what pulleys should I use right now. Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Hey guys,
I have a 92 350 I am putting in my 57 wagon. I will be running just the water pump and alternator for now. Later I want to add power steering and A/C. I want to know which pulleys I need for now. I have read that you can get a serpentine system off of a 4.3 V6 s-10. I might do that later but what pulleys should I use right now. Thanks
guess it boils down to stock<metal> or go after market, thats your decision, ??
Myself I like the billet pullies,:tu

·
Registered
37,796 Posts
With a serpentine, you may have to use them all. You have to have enough belt wrap, the belt must miss all the obstacles, and you need a belt tensioner device. So if you delete a pulley, you need to meet the above conditions and also be able to buy a belt of the correct length, which you'll have to figure out.

There's no set answer, you have to figure this out for each setup you might consider.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Also conside that if the water pump is from a serpentine engine (reverse rotation), it needs to rotate backwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth, we have a new Victory Series kit that you could start out with alternator only, and then add AC and or PS later.

The link referenced above shows alternator, AC and PS, but the one I'm referring to that we have is very similar to this (just without AC and PS; sorry, don't have a new picture of the alternator only right now).

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Kevin
Concept One Pulleys
Made in the USA

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,262 Posts
Kevin.....Welcome to bowtie-trifive I see that you have not become an official sponsor yet....So, post a link to your website in the "Links to other sites" forum. And please abide by the site rule, no advertising in the forums unless you are a site sponsor. Thank you for understanding, david

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I actually got the idea to use a factory serpentine system off a 4.3 V6 from this website. Those March, Concept1, etc. pulley systems are a true work of art but not in my budget. The GM 4.3 serpentine does bolt right up as long as you have the accessory holes in your heads. The brackets are aluminum which is nice, and they are braced to the intake to boot. I like to say 'taint purdy but it's sturdy. There are about four major things to know when doing this. 1) Get everything you can, water pump, pulleys, brackets, alternator, ps pump, tensioner, belt & all the bolts. I got all this for $50. What a deal since I had nothing at all for my 350. 2) You'll need to trim off part of a steel bracket that attaches to the back side of the PS pump, make a 1-1/2" pipe spacer so you can bolt the bracket to the header. 3) You'll need to move the radiator to the other side of the support since it is a long style water pump plus I got the clutched fan. and finally 4) you'll need to get a swivel base 45º water neck since the braces will be in the way of a standard neck. I just used a generic flex hose to the radiator. By the way, picture 3 shows the empty slot where a smog pump goes if you have one of those left coast cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually got the idea to use a factory serpentine system off a 4.3 V6 from this website. Those March, Concept1, etc. pulley systems are a true work of art but not in my budget. The GM 4.3 serpentine does bolt right up as long as you have the accessory holes in your heads. The brackets are aluminum which is nice, and they are braced to the intake to boot. I like to say 'taint purdy but it's sturdy. There are about four major things to know when doing this. 1) Get everything you can, water pump, pulleys, brackets, alternator, ps pump, tensioner, belt & all the bolts. I got all this for $50. What a deal since I had nothing at all for my 350. 2) You'll need to trim off part of a steel bracket that attaches to the back side of the PS pump, make a 1-1/2" pipe spacer so you can bolt the bracket to the header. 3) You'll need to move the radiator to the other side of the support since it is a long style water pump plus I got the clutched fan. and finally 4) you'll need to get a swivel base 45º water neck since the braces will be in the way of a standard neck. I just used a generic flex hose to the radiator. By the way, picture 3 shows the empty slot where a smog pump goes if you have one of those left coast cars.
Nice set up. Will this work without a ac compressor, do you know of a set up that dont use the ac

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Nice set up. Will this work without a ac compressor, do you know of a set up that dont use the ac
I am not aware of a modern serpentine system without air. I currently do not have air, but do plan on adding it once the car is road worthy and I'm ready to do the Hot Rod Power Tour or something...

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts