Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

My winter project wil be to replace the current th350 with a th200-4R trans.
Now i'd like to know how to do this.
Should I just pull the transmission, or should I pull the engine with trans.
There is a 1 ton (1000 kilos) crane available and a pit to work under the car.
Just the trans seems to be the least amount of work, but heavy. Liftnig the trans out by hand...

Thanks

Nick

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Hello Guys,

My winter project wil be to replace the current th350 with a th200-4R trans.
Now i'd like to know how to do this.
Should I just pull the transmission, or should I pull the engine with trans.
There is a 1 ton (1000 kilos) crane available and a pit to work under the car.
Just the trans seems to be the least amount of work, but heavy. Liftnig the trans out by hand...

Thanks

Nick
nick
do u hav a tranny jack that adjust up, as in puttn in pit and jack up to tranny ?
other wise Id pull motor and tranny out at once, At least then u can , spruce up engine compartment while motor and trannys out :tu
:anim_25: and keep us posted

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i don´t have a tranny jack :( Lifting that amount of weight might be a bit heavy for my back.
Cleaning the engine bay is also an option.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
No i don´t have a tranny jack :( Lifting that amount of weight might be a bit heavy for my back.
Cleaning the engine bay is also an option.

You really need a transmission jack. Unless you're "Super Macho Man", :D I doubt you, or you along with 2 or 3 of your friends could horse that transmission into place.

I'm gettin' old. I used to pull 4 speed transmissions by myself, and then put them back in by myself.

Don't have the strength to do that anymore. Had the 4 speed out of the 56 last fall. Got it out myself, but had to call a friend over to help me lift/align it to get it reinstalled.

That 200R4 is HEAVY, heavier than a manual trans. :D

Chuck

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manual transmissions it have worked with more than once, though these were on european cars.
I found a shop that sells 500 kilo transmission jacks for a reasonable price, so i'll get me one of those.
The pitt isn't big enought to fit in four guys :)

Here is a pic of me ;)

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
If it were me, Unless I had acess to a hoist. I would pull the engine/tranny out, Do the switch and replace them as a unit.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now you got me curious, why ?
Pulling them as a set would be a lot more work.
Radiator + mounting has to go, the hood has to go, all the hoses have to be disconected, fuel line etc.

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
I wouldn't pull both engine and transmission unless there was a good reason to pull the engine too.

And I'm with the others, even a manual trans is a bit too much for me by myself, though it used to be OK.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Radiator + mounting has to go, the hood has to go, all the hoses have to be disconected, fuel line etc.
More work, but that way you can sure get to everything and renew what's needed in the process.

Don

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Its mostly just my age probably, I no longer do well on my back under a car trying to see what I am doing, reaching bolts on top of the tranny. etc. I agree, Its a little more involved pulling them together but I can see what I am doing and know when I put it back in, Its assembled correctly. When I was a kid I pulled engines out if tri-fives so much that my record was 26 min from running to hanging on a chain. but those days are long gone.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, thats true.
But my engine bay doesn't need much cleaning.

Getting al the parts alligned.. I only have a month to do this project.

Its mostly just my age probably, I no longer do well on my back under a car trying to see what I am doing, reaching bolts on top of the tranny. etc. I agree, Its a little more involved pulling them together but I can see what I am doing and know when I put it back in, Its assembled correctly. When I was a kid I pulled engines out if tri-fives so much that my record was 26 min from running to hanging on a chain. but those days are long gone.
There you have a good point.
26 min, thats fast !
Both ways seem to have benefits over the other.
Thanks

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Jacks are one of the few things I buy at Harbor Freight. They are pretty decent. The last one I bought was a 3 ton for about $80 and it had an option for a transmission adapter. So, for about $130, I had a transmission jack and it worked perfect for my 6 spd. T56. A T56 is too heavy for me to manhandle. (A Muncie 4 speed is still no problem for me to do by hand though.)

My suggestion to you is to not use the pit. I'd get 4 big jackstands, get the car up in the air fairly high and then use a transmission jack to R/R the tranny. Rent a trans jack if you have to.

Do NOT buy jackstands at HF. They are junk. I have 4 of these. You don't need 12 ton jacks for the weight, you need them for size and stability.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Don :redface:
Yours nice to.

Not using the pit would also be an option.
I do have 4 good stands. And a decent floor jack.
How high would the car have to be of the floor?
Something like 60cm (~24inch) bottom to floor I'd say.
We don't have HF over here , so thats not a problem :)

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
How high? The bottom of the frame rail must be higher than the top of the bellhousing when it's sitting on the jack, with the jack down.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
I have my car in the air right now working on exhaust. My frame is 20" off the ground and with my 12 ton jack stands, I could easily go higher.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,763 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
did you consider renting a jack from a tool or equipment rental store I used to work for a company and we rented them foe $15 bucks per day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts