Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to have some work done on my 57 Nomad and I am wondering if putting in a new rear end is money well spent. The car has a 350 with a 700R4 from Bowtie, but I expect that the rearend is original. The rear ends from Ecklers are pretty pricey. Any info and suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would go to a junk yard and do some looking. There are a lot of ford " out there. Might have to shorten the tube and get new axles, but still better than Ecklers.
Jeffrey

·
12,256 Posts
What are you trying to do with it? Unless you're really going to hammer it or race it, I think a stock rearend will hold up pretty well to a mild 350. Especially behind an automatic. I had one with 4:11 gears and a posi behind a 427 and 4-speed and never had any problems, even when I smoked the tires. ;)

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Yup, gotta

What are you trying to do with it? Unless you're really going to hammer it or race it, I think a stock rearend will hold up pretty well to a mild 350. Especially behind an automatic. I had one with 4:11 gears and a posi behind a 427 and 4-speed and never had any problems, even when I smoked the tires. ;)
agree with Laszlo on this. Being "Trendy" can get costly.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are going to get a new rear end why not get a bolt in 12 bolt? It's cheaper, lighter, takes less power to turn and it's a Chevy rear end. Moser makes bolt in 12 bolt rear ends for the '55 to '57 cars. You could also build a rear end from many other cars for less money. You are far from needing a 9 inch due to strength.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you must go Ford 9" a friend of mine has a Strange Engineering nodular iron third member with a spool and new 4.86 gears he'd love to sell you... It went to a rail dragster he no longer has... lol

·
12,256 Posts
My assumption was that your current rearend is good. If you need to spend money on it, then I'd consider other options. ;)

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Then rework the stock unit

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
9 inch Ford rear end

I have a 57 Nomad with a 9 inch Ford Rear end. It is out of a Lincoln Versailles and comes 2 inches narrower than a stock rear end (about 58") and has disc brakes as a bonus. I needed to put lowering blocks in to get the e brake levers to clear everything. These are 28 spline axle rear ends but will hold up to all "normal" driving.

·
Registered
167 Posts
C'nut-or anyone-do they make a limited slip for a stock, 57 10 bolt? I don't think I want a posi.

·
Registered
37,051 Posts
"Posi" or "positraction" and "limited slip" are the same thing. Chevrolet called it positraction. They are a good thing, and probably what you want.

What you don't want is a spool or mini-spool.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I went for an F9 out of a mid 70s Bronco. Good fit, but I had to have the axles redrilled for the Chevy bolt pattern.
The car had an S10 rear when I got it and since I was re-doing all the rear end stuff anyway...
But it sounds like you'd be money ahead just reworking the stocker.

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,382 Posts
I agree that a stock rear will hold up for your setup. If you're convinced you need something stronger but don't want to spend the big $ - You'd do well with a Ford Explorer rear from a parts yard. They are quite strong, a good width and the newer ones have disk brakes.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with the original diff why change it. I have a 73 Ventura(Nova) 10 bolt under the wagon. I had to weld on new spring perches and shorten the driveshaft a bit. Good day.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have a 9" out of a VerSallies, got it for the disc brakes, gave 500 bucks for it about 10 - 12 years ago. But, a 10 or 12 bolt would work just fine, works like a charm, put brake pads on it one time, just got it cause it was handy and close to home. Can't tell from a '55 rear. Running a 350 330hp w/turbo 400, the thing has 2:73 gears, fun to drive. Later, Charles :wavey:

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you must go Ford 9" a friend of mine has a Strange Engineering nodular iron third member with a spool and new 4.86 gears he'd love to sell you... It went to a rail dragster he no longer has... lol
DS,
P/M me if your serious about the third member. If the price is right I might be very interested.
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
DS,
P/M me if your serious about the third member. If the price is right I might be very interested.
Thanks, Brian
I'll talk to him and see if he will make a reasonable price on it, he was asking more than I thought it was worth, but what do I know... They are around $1300.00 new...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts