Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I did a oil change last week. today I filled the tank $$$, added fuel stabilizer, cleaned the bugs off and pushed it to the back of the garage. Hope it's a early driving season next year.
Todd

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I guess there are differing theories, but obviously older oil can start to create varnish on your parts. As for what age makes it truly "old", well, I'll let everyone deliberate on that one!

All I know is I once bought a 327 where the engine had sat for a while with old oil in it, and it wouldn't even spin. When I opened it up, that oil had pretty much changed to JB Weld!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I change the gear lube in my Farmall A every few years and its amazing how much moisture condences in it. It is never left outside. I am interested to hear opinions on this topic.

·
Registered
56 150 two door w/210 trim, 350 CID, TH 350
625 Posts
During the combustion process some bad stuff is passed on to the oil, which in turn can cause the oil to become corrosive potentially causing engine damage. Best for the engine, is to change the oil at the end of the season and that also means less maintenance in the spring.

As for condensation, thats caused during normal engine warm up and will only dissipate when the engine is run at normal operating temperature for longer periods of time allowing the water to evaporate.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I just put my '39 Chev into my back shop for the winter last week. With a lot of rainy, cold days here lately, I saw no reason to put it off any longer. I haven't done the winterization yet, but for me there's not much to that. I treat the gas, and then run it long enough to ensure the gas treatment gets into the carburetor. Then put the trickle charger on the battery, and turn off the battery switch.
I don't change any fluids, as I prefer to do things like that in the spring when it's ready to drive again.
I'll leave my other hotrod alone for a little longer, as it's easier to get out if we get a nice day here or there. Once the weather gets worse, or we start reaching freezing temps at night, it too will get winterized.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Will you service it now or in the spring?

I only have about 300 miles on the oil, Valvoline (10W-30 VR-1). I will leave it in the engine over winter, and change it in spring after a few hundred more miles.

·
Registered
Denver, Colorado 1956 Nomad
1,129 Posts
Unless I hear from members here differently I don't plan on putting my car up for the winter.
I had to last year (the first year I owned it) because the PO had removed the heater box,
I installed a Vintage Air system this year so the car now has heat again,
We don't really get a lot of snow here in the city as we used to decades ago.
It's not usual here to have a lot of sunny days above freezing during the winter months.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It's always interesting to hear everybody's theories on servicing and winterization. In all reality these cars were lucky if they ever got another roll of toilet paper stuffed in for an oil filter and actually had engine oil poured in the engines back in the day.

These things aren't fine china, they are crude chunks of iron & steel.

I get it though, it's a hobby & it gives many owners "purpose".

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So do we start it once a month and let it get hot to burn the bad stuff out of the oil in the winter?
I do it.. Some say it's bad, but it works for me.
Todd

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
I wont put mine up for winter storage until just after thanksgiving. Sometimes I change the oil in the spring, sometimes I change the oil in the fall. I have a lift in my little one car garage now so I think i will change the oil in the fall since I dont have to crawl on the ground any more. Then its fill the tank with gas and stabil, check the radiator fluid with a hydrometer, dryer sheets all over, inside the car and outside, mouse traps, bait, battery tender and car cover.

·
Registered
68,433 Posts
I drive once in awhile(even in winter) depending on weather and road conditions (no salt, snow, ice, etc.). battery tender always on, so that helps.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yep, I did a oil change last week. today I filled the tank $$$, added fuel stabilizer, cleaned the bugs off and pushed it to the back of the garage. Hope it's a early driving season next year.
Todd
I remember the days when i lived in the north east and had to prep a car or motorcycle for winter storage in the garage. These days in southeast georgia i put nothing away and drive/ride 12 months a year. Matter of fact, i just washed and waxed the 55 last weekend. Only problems i ran into was i was sweating and i ran out of beer. Prost!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I wont put mine up for winter stoarge until just after thanksgiving. Sometimes I change the oil in the spring, sometimes I change the oil in the fall. I have a lift in my little one car garage now so I think i will change the oil in the fall since I dont have to crawl on the ground any more. Then its fill the tank with gas and stabil, check the radiator fluid with a hydrometer, dryer sheets all over, inside the car and outside, mouse traps, bait, battery tender and car cover.
Can remember plugging exhaust with wads of steel wool

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I like to drive my car year round. Our winters are not what they used to be. We will get a few good cold snaps, but our snow fall has really dropped off over the last few years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts