Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
555’ Nomad , just finished 3 months ago.
AAW Classic update harness
Auto City PW setup.
All set , adjusted and working fine for two months. Pass side stops working. Two weeks later Driv side stops working.
Did I tell you , the LAST thing I want to do is remove door panels ?
When I try the switchs, I can hear a slight clicking in the motor area.
When I try the switchs, I can see the dome lights dim a little bit.
I took a heavy braided wire from battery neg, to a bolt on door striker . No help .
Did I tell you , the LAST thing I want to do is remove door panels ?
Stretch

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
When I put Specialty power windows in my 56, I took it to a car show 460 miles from home. I got there and tried to open the windows, neither worked. Checked fuses, all good. Fortunately, my Vintage Air worked, so the trip home was ok.. When I got home, I pulled the driver's side door panel off (sorry) and discovered the plug that goes on the inside of the switches had come loose, not off. Once I pushed it back on all the way, everything was fine. Has worked flawlessly for almost 3 years now.

·
Administrator
66,693 Posts
Can you pull out one of the switches without removing the door panel, you need to check if any power is going there, I assume they were working fine when you were testing them.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I call Auto City Classics . Tell them everything in post #1. Their Answer is it’s a Ground problem.
I remind them the motors click when Switch is activated.
Did I tell you the last thing I want to do is take Door Panels off ? 😱

Their answer is it’s a Ground problem.
I say you sell me complete PW kit . Regulators, GM looking Switches, GM looking conduits, motors & Harness. There is not a Ground wire in your harness. Instructions do not say to add a Ground wire. 🤔
They say add a Ground wire from Motor, through conduit to Body.
I say send me two motors. So I can take panels off , fix any problem, and put back together.
My original motors from ACC are round .
ACC , would not send me replacement motors .
So I bought two from them , reduced price , no shipping. Just to have on hand. New motors are rectangular.
Did I tell, you the last thing I want to do is take Door Panels off ? 😱

I take and remove regulators and motors . Clean motor to regulator sufarce . Add a heavy Ground wire between the two. Run wire through conduit up behind kick panels to cowl area. I DO NOT HOOK UP GROUND TO COWL.
Motors work , same round motors . Not new motors . Door panels on. Drive on Friday Eve, Sat & Sun.
I did not yet hook up ground to cowl. Sat one stops working, Sun other stops working.
Once again motors click inside doors when switch is activated.
Did I tell you the last thing I want to do is take Door Panels off ? 😱 AGAIN

So yesterday, I hook up Ground to Cowl, clean , star washers , done right. Motors no work.
Once again click inside door .
Today, I call 5-7’ guy that has done lots of them full restoration. A true craftsman.
He asks where is Window when motors stop. I think about it , always in down position.
He says not a Ground problem, it’s a stuck motor problem.

So ok. That being said . Wouldn’t you think ACC would of listened to my situation and said it could be stuck motors ?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I, too, hate removing and replacing door panels, it's one of my pet peeves.

Now - and this is just me - what I would have done in that situation is leave the door panels OFF until I was 99.9% sure I had resolved the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
It may not help, but what I don't like about my SPW motors is they do not have a built-in stop. If you hold the button down, and the window stops are out of adj., or missing, it will keep running.
The "up" window stops are kind of cheesy, but I just bump the sw. until where I want them. I don't know about a Nomad, but my conv. has a lower stop that is "L" shaped attached to the inner door. It also has a thick rubber pad as a cushion
Do you have the lower stop? Maybe you could add additional rubber so it would stop sooner. May not work, but worth a try.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kbuh, I know. But I put panels back on to attend a very neat event I was invited to.

davidc. My Nomad doors have two adjustable rod stops with rubber tips per side.
Because of motor speed and no built in stop. I liked to only put the windows up when door is closed. When door is open and one does not let up on switch, it jacks the Vent Window forward. 😱
Stretch

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello. My question now is when changing out a PW motor . You most likely have the Regulator clamped in shop Vise. Even though the PW motors don’t have stops , keep spinning in each position
So you have the Regulator, Motor & Spring to deal with.

How does one verify the Regulator arm is in correct position ?
. Mine from Auto City, with two different sets of motors get stuck in down position.
It’s not a power or ground issue.
It’s seems that today we marked position of motor to regulator while still in door.
Took unit out to bench test . Come to find out the last couple of teeth on regulator are in contact with motor in down position. Which we are thinking 🤔 is creating the binding / stuck situation.

It‘s not a power or ground issue.
Question #1) How does one very the Regulator arm in correct position with installing a new motor ?
Question #2) The bottom rubber window travel stop. Just build it up and double its thickness, so not going to far down to bind up ? Anyone experienced this issue ?
T/Y. Stretch

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,464 Posts
Weld the last teeth gap closed. The motor has no choice but to stop before it binds.

Mikey

·
10,464 Posts
Here are a few photos of the gear on a power window reg that I have. Maybe it will help.

Mikey
Green Personal protective equipment Tints and shades Circle Grass
Water Liquid Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt
Green Baize Road surface Asphalt Rectangle

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sure looks different on the ends , teeth go all the way to the end .
Could you please measure the distance between the grooves ?
These from Auto City approx 5 years ago measure 6 1/2” between bottom of grooves.
Friend has a set never installed from Auto City approx 10-15 years ago measure 6 1/4”
Stretch

·
10,464 Posts
here ya go
Bumper Automotive wheel system Gas Font Circle
Ruler Office ruler Rectangle Font Automotive tire
Saw Hand tool Tool Gear Tape measure
Automotive tire Rectangle Tape measure Font Wood

Reactions: Robert Haas

·
10,464 Posts
Compare yours to the photos I posted.

Mikey

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Mikey as always, T/Y. I did not weld on Regulators. Good idea
davidc post #6. 15 days ago . Should of listened to you then. I did double up bottom window stop.
Switched back to my original ACC motors.
All happened today / tonight. Midnight Oil in Garage again.
Dave & Kev Dog not around to help.

Off to NSRA in Burlington tomorrow at noon . 120 miles up through the Adirondacks . Hope Trail Boss takes the long way.
Hope this PW Drama is over
Admit , this situation did kick my butt.

T/Y to all .
Stretch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts