Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I just received my car which i purchased from interstate. 55 2D Hardtop
The body has has the quarter panels and rockers replaced with with new ones, by the previous owner
When the car was seen the doors were not on it so i assumed the quarters had been welded in place with the doors on to line it up.
But after getting the car to my place and test fitting the doors to check alignment i found a MAJOR issue, Where the door meets up with the quarter it runs out about 8mm ( 1/3 of an inch ) on both sides of the car.
I wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue with a repro quarter and what can be done to fix it.
i was think about putting a vertical cut in each quarter in order to bring the door jamb face into line with the door and then adding in a filler piece as required.
My worry is that if i do this then it wil make the top of the panel longer and i will then have issues with window and trim fitment

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
Will get this discussion popped back up to the top for you.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Before you go to cutting and dicing, make sure the rear body mount area in the trunk is solid and not all rusted out and the body mounts are good.
Terry
I agree with Terry. Body mounts may need shims at the back, or removed under the door.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Is the door mounted? It looks like it is sitting on the sill, leaving no gap at bottom of door.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
Obviously the door needs to come up to get a gap at the bottom, that should be in its adjustment range. The top of the door at the rear is also low. But that's going to make the vertical gap even wider.

We have no way of knowing what is causing the vertical gap problem. The thing to do next is to start adjusting and see where that ends up.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
Juz55....I have a Body Adjustment Guide here, if that helps you:

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the suggestion guys.
I have just removed all the body mounts rubber from between the body and the chassis, i left the one at the firewall and the rear of the trunk.
I then tightened down the body mount bolts and the front of the quarter and the rocker panel, it has pulled the body down slightly ( i measured from the rocker to the roof runoff before and after removing the rubbers and the gap has increased by around 12mm - 1/2 inch)
But the gap at the top of the door has only decreased by 2mm - 1/12 of an inch
The door has not been gapped properly on the bottom but i left it this way so i can better see if the rocker line changed.
I have put a straight edge on the rocker and quarter and the line is almost perfect.
I did find a post last night where someone had the exact issue with their quarters back in 2012 but there wasnt a post stating as to if and how they solved it.
I have calculted that if i was to solve the problem with shims i would have to have no rubbers on the body in the centre and have around 75mm ( 3 inches of shims at both the front and rear of the car and this would then put a 3 inch bow in the rocker and quarter line, as well as probably buckle the roof cause i think somewhere else would have to give in order to pull it down that much
I rang the supplier of the quarters here in Australia and they said they have never had this problem.

Above is after the adjustment

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been staring at the car for the last few hours trying to work out what could have gone wrong.
I have come up with a couple of possibilities

1 - When they insalled the new quarters they have been put on too low in the back which has pushed the quarter further down the rocker than it should be, causing the V gap along the door.
Not sure if this is possible to do and still get it installed as it has to line up with the inner quarter, floor etc ( still has original inners and floor

I was thinking about cutting the join between the quarter and the rocker and trying to lift back of the car to see if the gap changed but then i realised that the quarter would still be attached to the inner quarter which is then attached to the floor which would not achieve very much.

2 - The car has had a major hit it the back at some stage in its life and the rear of the chassis is bent down and therefore pulling the back of the body down.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere i can get dimensions of the chassis and body from

• I want to measure certain points along the chassis rails to see if they are bent in any way but dont have another car to compare to
  • I also thought it might be an idea to run a straight edge flat along the bottom of the rocker to under the rear quarter and measure up to back of the panel and see if its low
As they say measure twice cut once ;)

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Looking at your pics of the body mounts, I believe they are assembled wrong. The rubber cushions belong between the frame brackets and the body, not under the frame brackets. Right now your body is mounted rigidly to the frame, with no cushioning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i think that the way that you have the car supported can be affecting your gap it should be supported at suspension points or wheels on the ground

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Ditto on supporting at suspension points, or wheels on the ground, If you read the saga of the 57 rustbucket, he had welded up everything with the frame on jackstands, and when he put the weight on the suspension, everything changed, and he had to cut all the welds and re do everything. These frames flex and can throw your gaps off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at your pics of the body mounts, I believe they are assembled wrong. The rubber cushions belong between the frame brackets and the body, not under the frame brackets. Right now your body is mounted rigidly to the frame, with no cushioning.
Agreed, they are missing the rubbers, I took those couple out to pull the body down to see if that would help. Only a temporary idea but it didn’t work

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think that the way that you have the car supported can be affecting your gap it should be supported at suspension points or wheels on the ground
I think that will help. I’m going to put the rails on axle stands later today and see if that helps any.
I’m also going to measure the entire chassis to see if it might have a buckle in it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts