Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might go in the Body Repair section, but looking at the 150 model, the trim doesn't extend from the rear of the fin to the bottom of the glass like the Bel Air model. Is the joint filled with lead on the original cars??

Thanks,

Dave
:wavey:

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you're asking about the stainless on top of the tail fin... then no.. no lead there, as there's no holes,etc to fill in. Same as 210s. Bel Airs just had additional holes punched into the top to accomodate the longer trim.
There is lead in the joint between the quarter to tulip panel... the panel between the trunk lid and the back glass.
I 'think' I answered your question...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're asking about the stainless on top of the tail fin... then no.. no lead there, as there's no holes,etc to fill in. Same as 210s. Bel Airs just had additional holes punched into the top to accomodate the longer trim.
There is lead in the joint between the quarter to tulip panel... the panel between the trunk lid and the back glass.
I 'think' I answered your question...
How is the outer quarter attached to the inside piece between it and the trunk? When doing a replacement on the quarter, do you just trim below the radius of the old quarter to cut the new one in?

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm not positive which area you're referring to... but I can safely say that it depends on the donor quarter or the repop quality. The repop panels can be a basic patch panel which are relatively cheap, or a factory style replacement panel, which is $$$!
Also it's safe to say that if two panels were joined, there's a nightmare of spot welds to be seperated! ;)
You can get an idea of what to expect by looking at the repoduction panels if they are the high dollar 'factory replacement' variety.

Inner trunk panel to quarter, where the trunk seal would lie, basically two U-channels, pinched and spot welded all around.
The panel between the trunk lid and back window is flanged down, spot welded, and filled with a chunk of lead. This joint is easy to see when looking from inside the trunk, right outboard of the trunk hinges.
The 'Belle' resto site that is stickied at the top of the body section is likely one of the best ways to see a quarter replaced. I'm sure there's plenty of others within the body section too. (which this thread belongs in now...lol)

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
The replacement quarter panel should have the area between the trunk and top of the fender included.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not positive which area you're referring to... but I can safely say that it depends on the donor quarter or the repop quality. The repop panels can be a basic patch panel which are relatively cheap, or a factory style replacement panel, which is $$$!
Also it's safe to say that if two panels were joined, there's a nightmare of spot welds to be seperated! ;)
You can get an idea of what to expect by looking at the repoduction panels if they are the high dollar 'factory replacement' variety.

Inner trunk panel to quarter, where the trunk seal would lie, basically two U-channels, pinched and spot welded all around.
The panel between the trunk lid and back window is flanged down, spot welded, and filled with a chunk of lead. This joint is easy to see when looking from inside the trunk, right outboard of the trunk hinges.
The 'Belle' resto site that is stickied at the top of the body section is likely one of the best ways to see a quarter replaced. I'm sure there's plenty of others within the body section too. (which this thread belongs in now...lol)
Thanks, I'll check out the "Belle" thread....and I did say I wasn't sure if this was the right forum...lol :)

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The replacement quarter panel should have the area between the trunk and top of the fender included.
Thanks Don,

I'll check that out, I think I can see it in the backview there.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll check out the "Belle" thread....and I did say I wasn't sure if this was the right forum...lol :)

Dave
I forgot I had the link to "Belle" already saved and have read through it once or twice. I think this picture kinda answer the question for me:

I assume that when a new outer is welded to this piece, the moulding along the top of the fin covers this joint on a Bel Air. I believe that on a 150 there's no trim along that top edge. If so, how is this joint covered?? :confused0006:

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy, I feel like I'm answering my own questions, or well...I read through a couple of threads and found this one:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47541&page=2 by "bustedknuckle1"

It had a link to Restoration World and the picture of the quarter shows that it wraps a round to the trunk like the factory original "Left Hardtop Only (Full Factory Style) Includes full door jamb and lips fully into trunk" :

I guess I have to keep looking to see if it's available for a sedan....oh, and I guess I'd have to get a car first!!

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Boy, I feel like I'm answering my own questions, or well...I read through a couple of threads and found this one:

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47541&page=2 by "bustedknuckle1"

It had a link to Restoration World and the picture of the quarter shows that it wraps a round to the trunk like the factory original "Left Hardtop Only (Full Factory Style) Includes full door jamb and lips fully into trunk" :

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Teamchevy_photos/1957 Chevy/yb.jpg

I guess I have to keep looking to see if it's available for a sedan....oh, and I guess I'd have to get a car first!!

Dave

Dave... get the car first! ;)
There's likely not a sedan specific piece made. You'll more than likely have to modify a hardtop piece. But it's no big deal.
If you're doing this work yourself, get a friend nearby to help you with the specific issues. Or... take LOTS of pictures and post up and we'll help as you go.
But don't worry about quarter replacement... it's been done so often MANY folks can show you how.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave... get the car first! ;)
There's likely not a sedan specific piece made. You'll more than likely have to modify a hardtop piece. But it's no big deal.
If you're doing this work yourself, get a friend nearby to help you with the specific issues. Or... take LOTS of pictures and post up and we'll help as you go.
But don't worry about quarter replacement... it's been done so often MANY folks can show you how.
Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am hearing that a sedan full qtr is going to be coming soon for 57. It has the window frame and all just like the factory panel. Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts