Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my car trailer a few weeks back and I'm in the market for a new one. Has anyone dealt with Big Tex trailers? or do you have any suggestions? I'm looking at a 83 inch wide x 18 foot model in Cordele Ga. They powdercoated instead of paint.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
My father has had two, one was damaged when it was broadsided and the second one which was replaced by insurance co. is still in service some 15-20 years later. BTW the first one was given to a crafty neighbor for parts but he ended up fixing it and used it often up until he passed.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
I have a roll back car hauler by Kwikload. It makes loading and unloading a breeze and the car door is behind the fenders when loading so you can get out after driving on the trailer. ..... http://www.kwikload.com/ The only time my 57 has been on it was going to the upholstery shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the rollback is another consideration. I've been looking at them also. They seem to be about a grand higher though. Is yours an 18 foot and if you were doing it again would you want one any longer?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a roll back car hauler by Kwikload. It makes loading and unloading a breeze and the car door is behind the fenders when loading so you can get out after driving on the trailer. ..... http://www.kwikload.com/ The only time my 57 has been on it was going to the upholstery shop.
My 1st 57 was red and white like yours. Bought it in 69 for $350 with 68,000 miles. 283 pg. I like that combo. nice car!

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Acardon, just bring that 57 on over to my house....I'll take good care of her...nice :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
the rollback is another consideration. I've been looking at them also. They seem to be about a grand higher though. Is yours an 18 foot and if you were doing it again would you want one any longer?
I'm pretty sure it's an 18'. I don't think you would need one any longer for cars. I've hauled my neighbors 61 Pontiac several times and it's a foot longer than a tri-5.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I've got a 20' Jim Glo tilt bed trailer. They're built in Willcox AZ. It's the 4th car trailer I've owned, and by far the best. I love it, no ramps, good winch..........makes life easy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've also looked at the tilt beds. Several brands are made just a few hours from me in Sikeston Mo. I like the split bed versions where the 1st 4 feet are stationary. The angle looks pretty steep on the tilt compared to the rollback. Two things I like about the rollback are there is no dovetail so backing up a steep driveway wouldn't be a problem and no ramps needed. But I really like the looks of the Big Tex for a grand less. Hope that I get some pros and cons from others.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
I sold my car trailer a few weeks back and I'm in the market for a new one. Has anyone dealt with Big Tex trailers? or do you have any suggestions? I'm looking at a 83 inch wide x 18 foot model in Cordele Ga. They powdercoated instead of paint.
I have their 18" Dove Tail. No issues since 2002. What are they asking for it?

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Tilt beds are easy to operate compared to the conventional winch style.

You need to make sure what ever way you go that the bed does not interfere with the car being lowered (front & rear). If you use a winch it usually hangs up on the front bumper as it pulls the car on an angle.

Next you need to look at tie down equipment, there are different types around but the one I have used is two parallel bars on a track system that is adjustable depending on wheel position, the front wheels sit between the bars then a strap tie down locks the front end down. A similar system is when transportation of cars on ferries.

Make sure that the bed is long enough so theres no overhang of the car being transported.

:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I used to sell trailers. The rollback Don has is the best way to go and if you can't do this Big Tex is next. That rollback Don has comes in aluminum also :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have been looking at trailers for the last few months. These guys were at the Pate Swap meet in Fort Worth in April and I really liked what I saw and the prices seemed to be a little lower than others. They are located in Oklahoma City, OK.

www.customtrailersalesinc.com

There is a used 8.5 x 20' enclosed 2012 Dragster model located near here for sale. It looks like a nice trailer, but it is black which makes it hotter inside.

·
Registered
899 Posts
i looked for two weekends at 6 different enclosed trailer places and ended up at the first one i looked at, haulmark. i'm not made of money and i'm not saying that haulmark is the best out there but my 24' enclosed so far went to Georgia, Maryland and New York without a problem, oops, one problem, i lost a hubcap. it will cost more for an enclosed but i look at it this way, you don't have to pay tax on it next to an addition, plus it's a great storage facility, but mobile. i can also clean the car at home and just pull it out and i'm done. i don't tow to every show, i don't consider my cars trailer queens, sometimes it's just more practical. on another note, there is one good reason i tow sometimes. when i'm sleeping in the hotel and the car is in the trailer all locked up i do sleep better, these are different times than back in the fifties. think about all the options. jeff

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Never owned a big tex but that rollback looks neat. I have been wanting another open trailer that can be used for other things. I had a 16 foot tilt bed, it was neat but really sucked for a car as it had a railing. I also have an enclosed and they are really nice but sometimes you just need to make a short trip and not tow the big box with you.. Also my rig can get 17mpg with an open and only 11 mpg with that box...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have their 18" Dove Tail. No issues since 2002. What are they asking for it?
Looks like around $3500 for the Big Tex with the options I wanted and about $4500 for the rollback with the same options. The base is about $2700 and $3800 I believe. The roll back comes with tool boxes in the bed and recessed load lights which are nice that the Big Tex doesn't offer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been looking at trailers for the last few months. These guys were at the Pate Swap meet in Fort Worth in April and I really liked what I saw and the prices seemed to be a little lower than others. They are located in Oklahoma City, OK.

www.customtrailersalesinc.com

There is a used 8.5 x 20' enclosed 2012 Dragster model located near here for sale. It looks like a nice trailer, but it is black which makes it hotter inside.
Thanks for that link. Those are some of the nicest trailers I've seen. I'm going to call them today.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i looked for two weekends at 6 different enclosed trailer places and ended up at the first one i looked at, haulmark. i'm not made of money and i'm not saying that haulmark is the best out there but my 24' enclosed so far went to Georgia, Maryland and New York without a problem, oops, one problem, i lost a hubcap. it will cost more for an enclosed but i look at it this way, you don't have to pay tax on it next to an addition, plus it's a great storage facility, but mobile. i can also clean the car at home and just pull it out and i'm done. i don't tow to every show, i don't consider my cars trailer queens, sometimes it's just more practical. on another note, there is one good reason i tow sometimes. when i'm sleeping in the hotel and the car is in the trailer all locked up i do sleep better, these are different times than back in the fifties. think about all the options. jeff
I know the feeling about security. My initial idea was to get an enclosed. I had a Wells cargo 22 a few years back. I found that I make very few trips where I need an enclosed and lots of short trips where an open is more convienent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts