Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am getting about 15 miles a gallon from my 235, 6 Cylinder stock motor. The motor runs smooth, easy to start and not idleing fast. Is this about right or are there adjustments I could make with the idle screw or the lean adjustment to help increase the gas milage. I really am quite the novice in many areas on the mechanical end. The pictures below show how the lean mixture as it was when I purchased car and I have since moved it to it's position (turning it clockwise) as described in the second picture. I do not want to try adjusting anything further till I get a bit of feedback from you good folks. Thanks again.

Steve

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used to get 14.3 mpg in my 58 chevy 6cyl blue flame. I was young, worked in a Shell station, had it tuned to the max, and a three on the tree. If your getting 15, I'd say your doing great!.....

The only reason I remember is I bought cheaper price gas from a mom and pop back then (.10 cents cheaper), and got the same mileage.... A little test against the Shell gas. Boy was my boss pee-oed when he found out,,,, but hey, times were tough :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Looking at your drawings I'd say you're adjusting the automatic choke setting...

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it walks like choke, quaks like a choke, and looks like a choke.....Yep,it's the choke, don't mess with it! Lon

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I think, as straycat said you are messing with the choke. The idle mixture screw is on the base of the carb where it bolts to the manifold. Clockwise is lean and counterclockwise is rich. You may be hard pressed to find mechanics today who know how to adjust it properly. Mosy younger mechs don't have a clue if it is not fuel injected.
Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
D.S. came up with it first! Anyway if you do want to adjust it, no problem but you usually end up adjusting twice, once in the winter and once in the summer. When the motor is cold in the morning, pop hood, take off air cleaner. Without starting motor push the throttle down and let up. This "sets" the choke. Look at the choke butterfly inside carb, should be almost closed. If not loosen the 3 screws on the chocke cover and rotate the black cover toward "rich" until it is. Tighten screws. Warm up motor, when warm and the thermostat has opened, the choke butterfly should be wide open. The index on the black choke cover is only a referance to go by not the "bible"! Put air cleaner back on. As I reread your first post it seems that all is well with your motor so don't do anything if not needed. Lon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts