Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 57 Chevy 2 door no post. I was wanting to put just a set of stock style 15" steel wheels on the car.
I was courious if anyone would have a list or idea of vehicles that had wheels which would fit up well on a 57 considering backspace and width.
Thanks,

·
Registered
887 Posts
FYI, stock for a 1957 Chevrolet is 14". 55 & 56 had 15"

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I believe all GM passenger cars 60's-70's had 14' rims. You would have to go after market or possibly Vette wheels from 60's and 70's.
Jim

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I believe all GM passenger cars 60's-70's had 14' rims. You would have to go after market or possibly Vette wheels from 60's and 70's.
Jim
15 inch ralleys started showing up on full size Chevys in the late 60s and 15 inch wheelsbecame standard in 71. Note full size Pass car bolt pattern and 2wd truclkwas changed to 5 on 5 in 71 and was that way on all through 76. This is also when disk brakes became std. on the aforementioned.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I just picked up a 57 Chevy 2 door no post. I was wanting to put just a set of stock style 15" steel wheels on the car.
I was courious if anyone would have a list or idea of vehicles that had wheels which would fit up well on a 57 considering backspace and width.
Thanks,
70-77 MonteCarlo, 73-77 Chevelle or some not all 77 to earlyh 90s Full size. You have to watch it some of the later are 5 on 5.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI, stock for a 1957 Chevrolet is 14". 55 & 56 had 15"
Sorry my post was not very clear. I meant what came stock on other vehicles that would fit well on a 57 chevy. Just incase I come across something at a bone yard or for sale locally.
I wanted a 15" steel wheel. Like corvette rallys or maybe just a plain black steel wheel from something else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
70-77 MonteCarlo, 73-77 Chevelle or some not all 77 to earlyh 90s Full size. You have to watch it some of the later are 5 on 5.
Thanks, Thats exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I've got ralleys on my 56. I've found 15x7 stock steel wheels at the junk yard on 70's wagons, but had the 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts
Had no problem putting 15" ralleys on my 57

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
All full size Impala/Caprice are 5 inch bolt circle 71-76 after that its a mixed bag of four and three quarter or five inch BC on full size. pass. and wagon. All police package cars are 5 inch.

·
Registered
287 Posts
80 'S to early 90's Astro vans and S10 's had a 15 inch steel wheel also that would fit but they don't look as good as older wheels in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
80 'S to early 90's Astro vans and S10 's had a 15 inch steel wheel also that would fit but they don't look as good as older wheels in my opinion.
Astros are 5 on 5. 4WD s-10's have wrong offset. 2WD s-10's will work. Most of the lower end S-10's were 14" but 2 WD blazers and Nicer packaged trucks came with 15's. Lose all the lugnuts, all 82 and up changed to metric. Chevy rally's came 14 and 15 in widths from 5.5 to 8 inch wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I have 15" steel wheels on my 57 with the 70's moon caps.
Be aware that many 15" wheels will rub on the upper ball joint on a 57.So will late model 14" disc brake wheels,so test for fit.Move suspension up and down or look for rubbing marks.
I know 15" wheels from my 88 Caprice will work on my 57.But,I have the original balljoints too.
Here is a chart of wheels and markings.It's not perfect and goes from 55 to 69.
http://www.348-409.com/wheelchart.htm
Mike.:):bowtieb:

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I have 15" steel wheels on my 57 with the 70's moon caps.
Be aware that many 15" wheels will rub on the upper ball joint on a 57.So will late model 14" disc brake wheels,so test for fit.Move suspension up and down or look for rubbing marks.
I know 15" wheels from my 88 Caprice will work on my 57.But,I have the original balljoints too.
Here is a chart of wheels and markings.It's not perfect and goes from 55 to 69.
http://www.348-409.com/wheelchart.htm
Mike.:):bowtieb:
88 Caprice without HD suspension only, HD/Police are five inch bolt circle.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Astros are 5 on 5. 4WD s-10's have wrong offset. 2WD s-10's will work. Most of the lower end S-10's were 14" but 2 WD blazers and Nicer packaged trucks came with 15's. Lose all the lugnuts, all 82 and up changed to metric. Chevy rally's came 14 and 15 in widths from 5.5 to 8 inch wide.
Correct info here.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Get new.

15x7 stock steel wheels at the junk yard on 70's wagons, but had the 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern.
I have had zero luck buying used steel wheels, in terms of usable condition and trueness. Every salvage yard I checked had been picked over long ago for 4 3/4" bolt pattern wheels. Craigslist was just as bad, just junk throwaways and cast-offs.

Check out Wheel Vintiques 30 Series 15" Rallyes in Summit. 5" thru 8" widths, and backspacing from 3.75" to 5.5". $73 to $78 bucks each no hassles. If you are going to run the full wheel covers, the four nubs will need to be welded on each wheel prior to paint.

Choose your width and backspacing wisely, to have proper clearance for the ball joint and fender arch lip, depending on your wheel/tire needs.

JMO :anim_25:

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I have had zero luck buying used steel wheels, in terms of usable condition and trueness. Every salvage yard I checked had been picked over long ago for 4 3/4" bolt pattern wheels. Craigslist was just as bad, just junk throwaways and cast-offs.

Check out Wheel Vintiques 30 Series 15" Rallyes in Summit. 5" thru 8" widths, and backspacing from 3.75" to 5.5". $73 to $78 bucks each no hassles. If you are going to run the full wheel covers, the four nubs will need to be welded on each wheel prior to paint.

Choose your width and backspacing wisely, to have proper clearance for the ball joint and fender arch lip, depending on your wheel/tire needs.

JMO :anim_25:
I dont look any farther than the 1975 Chevelle parts wagon behind my shop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts