Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new ignition switch showed up for my 55 dash project, so i wired it all up and installed it into the dash, but i was curios what the hole is for on the left hand side of the ignition switch is for ?

It looks like to me you could stick a instrument light in there, but what the heck would it light up? :dontknow:

Rick

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
So my new ignition switch showed up for my 55 dash project, so i wired it all up and installed it into the dash, but i was curios what the hole is for on the left hand side of the ignition switch is for ?

It looks like to me you could stick a instrument light in there, but what the heck would it light up? :dontknow:
Rick
It lights the plastic bezel around the key. Kinda an early fiber optic system through the edge of the bezel. .....http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-5.gif

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I don't think it was supposed to light the bezel. If you look at the side of the switch, there is a hole that you can see the lock cylinder through. In the lock position, the light is projected into the cylinder through the hole and lights up the key slot. It only shows through in the lock position.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Don, do you know if this takes a special type of bezel to light it up?

I purchased all new 55 Belair Bezels with the black face and chrome lettering, but i do not see how the light will work with the bezels since it is metal? I guess i will just have to check it out for myself.....

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it was supposed to light the bezel. If you look at the side of the switch, there is a hole that you can see the lock cylinder through. In the lock position, the light is projected into the cylinder through the hole and lights up the key slot. It only shows through in the lock position.
I guess that would make more sense......

Thanks

Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.