Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the throttle linkage to work on my son's go-cart. I used a Northern Tool 6 hp motor that I think is supposed to be for log splitters, etc but I put it on this go-cart frame.

The problem is the throttle piece on the carb has so little throw that the pedal is almost on/off. How can I put more throw into the lever so there is a bigger difference between barely pushing the gas pedal, pushing it half way, and pushing it all the way?

I'll try to describe what I have: there is a metal "lever" about 3 inches long. I have a hole drilled in the middle of the lever which pivots on top of the fan shroud. The throttle cable pulls from the passenger side of the lever. The other side of the lever has a rod that connects to the carb and a spring going the opposite direction of the carb to pull the lever back.

Any ideas?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,969 Posts
Jeff, sorry, I got your e-mail and then forgot all about answering it. :stupido3:
Instead of putting the hole in the middle of the lever, you need to put the pivot point real close to the throttle rod end. That way a lot of movement of the cable will cause just a little movement on the throttle end of the lever. You may have to move the mounting point of the levers pivot, closer to the carb rod end.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem, Don. I figured that problem out. :)

This is the newest problem. I'll try and move that pivot point...I should've known that. I'm just wondering if it will make that much difference since the lever isn't very long. I'll give it a try though.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Don! It works like a champ now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts