Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving the rear springs inboard on my delivery and wonder how/what to use to reweld the spring hangers.The front hangers and frame are the same metal while the rear are dissimilar:rear hangers themselves are cast iron/steel.Can I use my trusty old Sears Craftsman arc welder and if so what kind of rod? Thanks to all the professional welders out there. Butch.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hey 56sedandelivery,
I don't have the answers you need. You may want to post this question in the "Metal fabrication and questions" forum or the "High performance street and racing" forum on this web-site. Steve (ProStreet) does this professionally and will have the answers you need. Steve's da man!!!! Good luck!

Tom (55fazzi)

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Butch, if it were me, I think I would just replace the original rivets with bolts when I reattached the hangers inside the frame rails. The front brackets are mild steel and can be welded to the inside easy enough.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just a little info I learned awhile back, if you take a chisel and can shave a piece of the cast iron than it's weldable, if it chucks off or breaks off than you can weld it but it takes an expert who knows how to heat it and what rod to use. I know the part you are talikng about is weldable with a regular wire feed but would hate to be the one to say "do it". This area would be considerd as safty area and I would be real carefull. If you can bolt it do it. JMO,Lon

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Butch
First welcome to the site, :) Ahhh I really have nothing to add that Mike and Stray have'nt touched on. Although Its great to be concerned when it comes to structual , or any chassis parts that are going to take you and your family down the road. Hey thats not to say it's OK if a door or two falls off.:eek:
Are you doing most of your sheet metal with (Stick) or is it just your choice for that particular job.
Thanks for posting Butch, if ya get a chance post some photos so we can follow your project with you. :)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hi Butch
First welcome to the site, :) Ahhh I really have nothing to add that Mike and Stray have'nt touched on. Although Its great to be concerned when it comes to structual , or any chassis parts that are going to take you and your family down the road. Hey thats not to say it's OK if a door or two falls off.:eek:
Are you doing most of your sheet metal with (Stick) or is it just your choice for that particular job.
Thanks for posting Butch, if ya get a chance post some photos so we can follow your project with you. :)
When it comes to fabricating, if it has Steve's seal of approval, then it's good enough for me:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts