Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I wanted to know if anyone know how to properly adjust the window flipper mechanisms on my hardtop. I can't seem to get the driver side to work right. The front comes down but the back stays up. I talked to some guys at Danchuk and they said that some times they need to be shimmed etc.. I've tried loosening the whole assembly up and shimming it in different spots with no luck. One thing I haven't tried is a new flipper spring kit from Danchuk. Do you think the spings are worn out??:confused: Help!!

JiM Barnett
Bakersfield, CA

1,544 Posts
flippers

I found this out when my friend and I restored my 57, if you look closely you can see the roof line where the flipper mounts has a slight bow to it and the flipper mechanism is flat and for it to work properly it has to remain flat, I suggest you mount it at either end and use shim material in between to keep it flat along the roofline and checking its operation as you secure the center. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bob Velon

Take putty and build it up in the center and along the whole flipper...Make sure that the flipper is straight..If it curves with the roof line it will never open or close correctly. Don't not over tighten the screws or you will put it in a bind and be back right where you started......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense to me! Thanks, I will definitely try that. To be honest, I never really looked to see if the flipper was straight or not so I will definitely check that out as it is probably why it doesn't work properly. Hey Bob, what kind of putty did you use??? Can I get it from Danchuk or something? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
its like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corv...180035457313QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQtcZphoto

it comes in grey or black from what I remember, as for the flipper there is some crown to them but not as much as the roof, put the flipper in without any gasket using one screw at each end, then use small washers on the other areas just enaough to fill the voids, I think its screw on first hole then one washer on next hole and 2 in the 2 middle holes followed by 1 washer and no washer for last hole, put a bead of strip caulk along both edges but not quite at the edge,this will also help hold the washers in place, then put your rubber gasket on top of that keeping all the holes lined up and install, you may have to install it loose at first so you can line it up with your window

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Thanks guys, I've had the same problem with mine, and now I know the answer. I never would have thought of this, nor would I have asked. I would have assumed it was just one of those nit picky problems on a 50 year old car. One more thing for my to do list, this winter. John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts