Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got the 8 inch rear in my car now, it measures 54 wide. well with the wheels on it it looks goofy, like the rear is to narrow. so i have a 78-87 elcamino 10 bolt that i believe i wider.
so heres the prob. the wheels i have are ford pattern. i wanta keep them,
so what i was thinking, i have a buddy with a lathe, i was thinking of chucking it in it. making a circle, for the lugs, to keep them square. then possibly redrilling them in a drill press.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
That reminds me, I need to finish making the axle holder for my mill...

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
so i got the 8 inch rear in my car now, it measures 54 wide. well with the wheels on it it looks goofy, like the rear is to narrow. so i have a 78-87 elcamino 10 bolt that i believe i wider.
so what i was thinking, i have a buddy with a lathe, i was thinking of chucking it in it. making a circle, for the lugs, to keep them square. then possibly redrilling them in a drill press.
Unless your drill press has an indexable head, I would not try it. It doesn't take much of a misdrilled pattern to really cause havoc. 80 or so bucks and you can have it done and not worry about it.

JMHO

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
I agree, you can't do this on a drill press without fixturing.

You either need to do this on a milling machine (and it will have to have the appropriate tooling too), or you need to do this on a drill press with a drill fixture (and the press needs to be able to hold the axle correctly).

Moser charged me $70 to do two axles, and they welded up the original holes. If your axle had enough blank space on it to do the drilling without welding the original holes, then it would be cheaper. With the welding, they also do a truing cut on the mounting faces.

If I recall correctly they did my rotors for an additional $50. Plus I had to pay shipping both ways of course.

I don't think you can compete with that unless you find somebody already set up to do this.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
sent mine off to Moser but I drill my own rotors by using an old stock 57 drum center.
Josh

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
In the other post you were installing massive tubs and a BBC. Why would you use a little 7.5 inch 10 bolt that is weaker than the OEM. Put something good like a 12 bolt, 8 3/4 early Olds/Pontiac or a Dana 60 under it and do it once.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
so i got the 8 inch rear in my car now, it measures 54 wide. well with the wheels on it it looks goofy, like the rear is to narrow.

Time for deeper wheels and wider tires...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts