Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i got a couple of easy for you questions...
I really appreciate this forum, wish i found it along time ago, thanks.
55 bel air 265

left pic:
what the heck is this thing? i took off the intake to paint and i forgot where it goes or what it is.

middle pic:
what is that square plug bolt for on the front of intake ? temp gauge?

right pic:
is this a mechanical or electric temp gauge (temp gauge is another name for ''temp sending unit'' correct ?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
The left one is a mechanical temp gage sending unit, The middle one, I'm not sure what part your asking about. The right one looks like an electrical Oil pressure sending unit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The plug in the second picture is where the fitting in the first picture would normally be placed. If it isn't long enough to reach, it is probably because the car originallly has a six cylinder in it and their placement was more near the rear of the head.

Tom

Not sure what I was thinking, tri fives had electric water temp didn't they? Picture #1 must be an aftermarket guage.

·
Premium Member
16,187 Posts
Your 1st pic is the temp sensing part of your stock 55 gauge and goes in the rear driver side of your intake providing you have a correct 55 intake. The 2nd pic is a plug that should not be in a 55 intake. The 3rd pic is the oil pressure sending unit for an oil light. :anim_25:

-Bruce

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
55 bel air 265

right pic:
is this a mechanical or electric temp gauge (temp gauge is another name for ''temp sending unit'' correct ?)
Bruce is correct, 55's had a mechanical "temp sending unit" with the capillary tube going to the gauge. The gauge is the instrument on the dash.

Tom, 56 and 57's had an electric temp gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts