Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just have a quick question.

I am just a bit confused. After doing some research, it appears that Del Ray refers to an interior option on a 210? Is that correct?

Thank you.

koondog

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick response. Is it considered to be a "special" or rare option?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I dont know how special or rare they are. I know it's a cool option, at least in my opinion. I think the seats and door panels are about the only diffrence between a Del ray and a 210.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
The first year for the Delray was 1954. I have an ad for the '54 car. The '54-57 Delray option was only available on the 210 2-dr. sedan, not on the hardtop sport coupe. Chevrolet often refered to the Delrays as a Club Coupe. The '54-'57 Delray did not have any exterior identification such as "Delray" script. Delrays had an unique all vinyl two-tone interior and they also had carpeting instead of rubber floor mats. The all vinyl interior was limited to only three two-tone color combinations but the colors changed from year to year. In '57 the color choices were ivory and charcoal, two-tone green, or copper and beige. Because there were only three interior color choices not all the exterior colors were available on the Delray. I'm also quite sure that two-tone paint was also a required option because I have never seen a solid color Delray. Delrays are not real common because for a little more money a buyer could have upgraded to the Belair. The 1958 Delray is a completely different animal. The '58 Delray was the base model.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,003 Posts
I'm also quite sure that two-tone paint was also a required option because I have never seen a solid color Delray. Delrays are not real common because for a little more money a buyer could have upgraded to the Belair.
My 55 is a delray. It was a solid color skyline blue car save for a India ivory top. It was all original. Now there is much debate as to if the white top was added by the dealer. I believe it was original from GM as my paint codes states two tone skyline blue india ivory. And the lower was not painted white it was blue. There was another ordinal delray in my home town. It was green with a white top. And I know it was unrestored as well.

Now when I restored my Delray I painted it two tone with the lower india ivory as well. As I read some were it was an option on the delray. But I can remember were I seen it. If I ever repaint it I am going to go back to just the white top.

Also the seats have saddle bag stitching on the upper side. And thye had a special waffle pattern on the light color on the door panels. Other than that now difference on inside.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the responses. That clears it up for me and explains why I couldn't find the right color for some of my interior.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

koondog

·
51,704 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
1956 Delray

Naugahyde upholstery including headliner and visors, carpet instead or rubber floor mat. The interior mentioned in the cut sheet isn't the only color option. My dad's '56 Delray had green and white and I've seen red and white as well on Delray's.

·
51,704 Posts
Naugahyde upholstery including headliner and visors, carpet instead or rubber floor mat. The interior mentioned in the cut sheet isn't the only color option. My dad's '56 Delray had green and white and I've seen red and white as well on Delray's.
Vaughn...What book did that illustration come from?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Pops is dead nuts on.

I always liked the 55 Delray interior.

Reactions: 56ls408

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Vaughn...What book did that illustration come from?

Although my name isn't Vaughn, looks like I can respond partly on his behalf. Those are two consecutive pages out of a promotional handbook titled something like: "Everything about a 1956 Chevrolet" which isn't everything about a 1956 Chevrolet, but might have been at the beginning of production, because the handbook doesn't list the 6 new spring colors, the seat belts/crash pads, the 8-bbl engines and the other mid-year additions.

The fancy 210 Del-Ray and way downmarket 150 Business coupe were Fisher Body's continuation of the '53 210 Club Coupe and 150 Business coupe that had their own shorter greenhouse/longer decklid. I suspect the special body was discontinued in '53 and the 2-door sedan body substituted in '54 because of low production numbers of both. Furthermore, discontinuing them in 1953 in favor of using the 2-door sedan shell before the end of the production run probably opened up some tooling and any dedicated line capacity in preparation for the all-new '55 bodies. Remember, these '54 bodies started out as the first postwar '49 bodies, conjured up during the war and a long time had passed before Fisher had to make a changeover on a real time schedule and was probably short on the necessary experience. Even then, not all new '55's were on time as seen by the delay in the new trucks, Nomad, 210 hardtops and 4-door hardtops.

The Del-Rays still had a place in the product line, IMO, because they were a direct competitor for the base models offered by the Independents, who generally tried to distinguished themselves from the Big Three with a nicer interior with conservative exteriors. It seems to me that the late production run '56 Del Rays had a higher population of padded dashes than the 210's too. The padded dashes add to the refined interior appearance.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,003 Posts
The black interior above appears to be custom but basically in stock style. But the seat trim should be black not white I believe and looks like the white side panel vinyl is smooth it should be the waffle type material. The red one look closer but lacks the waffle pattern as well.

When I redid mine years ago the waffle material was not being made now its available. So my white part f the side panel is smooth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts