Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57 Nomad and am thinking about R&P steering upgrade or some sort of upgrade, maybe a CPP 500 box. I'd appreciate anyone's comments on what way to go. I am not a junk yard guy and would be having the work done by someone else so would likely be buying whatever parts from Eckler or a similar outfit.

·
Registered
36,948 Posts
The CPP500 is far easier and less expensive to do, and performs equally with a R&P.

There are lots of potential stumbling blocks with rack and pinion, the biggest one being routing the steering shaft around the exhaust headers.

Racks are fine if you are going to change out the whole front frame clip/suspension to one that was originally engineered for a rack - like C4 Corvette, or an AME frame, or a complete aftermarket suspension like the Jim Meyer.

I know that as always there will be posts from those happy with a rack, and that's fine, I just don't think it's worth the extra trouble and expense unless you go all the way.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,566 Posts
Rich I would suggest you drive one of each, go to a local show and meet the folks that have done it, talk to them and maybe get a chance to drive one. Rick is right about the header issues, it can cost you more going with R&P, but it also is better looking than the big old steering box.

I was switching out my column at the same time, so I did a R&P / column complete kit. Seems to have worked out well for me and I would do it again, but this time I would go with a new frame too:D

Randy

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I have a 605 box on my 55 Chevy but when I change over I will get a cpp 500 box or if I can find a C4 corvette set up then I use that. Later Bill

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
RICH,,I DID THE SAME AS RANDY, VERY HAPPY WITH IT. ALL WAYS DIFFERENT WAYS TO GO .YOU MIGHT CALL JIMMEYERS RACING,THEY ARE JUST ACROSS THE STATELINE IN OREGON,,DICK

·
Registered
510 Posts
you may also ck out borgeson for their delphi 600 box. that's what the cpp 500 is copied from according to borgeson. they're made in the usa also. i used the cpp500 on my 61 belair and was very un happy with it although i've never heard any complaints on tri 5s with cpp. i just try to stay away from parts from china if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts