Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market (I think) for a rack and pinion set up... I have a couple questions.... 1. I am noticing a big swing on prices which makes me wonder which ones to stay away from? 2. I am running tubed arms with caster improvements I would like to stay away from power steering the car is going to have a narrow front tire,and I would like to not have the clutter of a power steering pump. Will this work?? Or am I asking for it. Quite frankly I am not opposed to running a factory steering system... Will a factory steer car not wobble or vibrate if rebuilt properly.

I have never even driven a tri five car so I am trying to get rid of as many stereotypical problems,and still have somewhat of a simple less cluttered car. It is mainly gonna be used for some light duty street cruising and an occasional 110 mph 1/4 mile blast...

Thanks for your time!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since you are running a "narrow" front tire, you will have no problems setting up the front end to track and steer well with the stock steering system without power assist. Make sure all steering and suspension components are tight, add as much positive caster as you can stand and you should be good to go.

Andy

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I am in the market (I think) for a rack and pinion set up... I have a couple questions.... 1. I am noticing a big swing on prices which makes me wonder which ones to stay away from? 2. I am running tubed arms with caster improvements I would like to stay away from power steering the car is going to have a narrow front tire,and I would like to not have the clutter of a power steering pump. Will this work?? Or am I asking for it. Quite frankly I am not opposed to running a factory steering system... Will a factory steer car not wobble or vibrate if rebuilt properly.

I have never even driven a tri five car so I am trying to get rid of as many stereotypical problems,and still have somewhat of a simple less cluttered car. It is mainly gonna be used for some light duty street cruising and an occasional 110 mph 1/4 mile blast...

Thanks for your time!!!
aaron if you can fab up your own mnts pick up a 1982 pontiac phoenix man. rack couple u joints and you can acomplish this very reasonable. i can send you a pattern of the 2 mnts that bolt to your frame where the stk box and idler mnt if you wish
wayne

·
Registered
334 Posts
aaron if you can fab up your own mnts pick up a 1982 pontiac phoenix man. rack couple u joints and you can acomplish this very reasonable. i can send you a pattern of the 2 mnts that bolt to your frame where the stk box and idler mnt if you wish
wayne
HI fiddysix I am wanting to put a manual rack on my 55 wagon can you send me the pattern please. [email protected] thanks again

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Arron, I have tubular control arms, 2" drop spindles, hotchkis sway bars and installed a Unisteer manual rack and pinion. The only issue I had was the lower control arm bolts rubbing on the rack and pinion boots which is fixed by replacing the hex bolts with the rounded allen bolts like the ones on the top control arm. You will need to buy special headers to clear the steering arm that goes from the column to the rack n pinion. I've attached a pic where you can see the arm routed between the block and the header. These headers are made by Sanderson but there may be others out there that will also work...but as you can see I know the Sandersons work.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.