Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
rack

I run amanual rack 82 citation specs from cci. it blowes away the old parts
Super smooth less turns the old set up was kinda scarry!!! never liked it!
I made my own rack mount its secured to the lower a arms back bushing bolt location.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I made my own R&P system using a 95 Caviler power rack and and 71BB pump and hoses from CCI and fabed my mount as CCI with 1-1/4" DOM tubing. I bought the short steering knuckles to help with turning radius, good day, Henry.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Check out Dutchmans, IMO they have what appears to be the best mount for the rack using the lower a-arm cross shaft mounting location. It would be super stout. Not that the tubing running from framerail to framerail wouldn't hold up, but I have concerns about getting hit in the front end in a collison, particularly a wheel hit from the side-what would it do to the frame in that type of accident. I'm sure it would be the least of your worries, but I can't help but look at it that way working in the collision repair field. Buying a complete kit(rack, mount, spindles, brakes, etc.) would probably be the best route though. You really have to do your homework once you start mixing different vendors' products and run into a problem. Just my opinion.
P.S. That's a good looking setup Henry. What steering arms are those? It appears that there's a spacer between the arm and the spindle. Did that help the turning radius?
Jay

·
Registered
37,487 Posts
"How do they handle?"

There is no real handling advantage of a rack over a steering box, with the possible exception of losing about 15-25 pounds of weight on the front of the car.

A bad rack installation will handle worse. One of the problems with some of these conversions is that it's difficult to do without having bump steer.

Racks are notorious for having clearance problems from the steering shaft to the exhaust manifold or header. Definitely solvable, but it may cost you extra time and money.

The other thing a rack will do for you is that most of them will have a power steering valve that has a "tight" feel. The latest generation of power steering box conversions, like the CPP500 and the 670, have that same "tight" feel as most late model racks. In fact some advertise a "rack feel". A cheaper and easier way to go.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Jay, the steering arms are from CCI. The spacers are there because the arm at the front side rests against the brake caliper bracket. Good day, Henry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts