Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the tires on my 57 this year as the current bias ply are way too old now to use and my sons both want me to teach them how to drive the car so for safety sake i want to replace the tires. The car is as I drove it in high school in the late 70's, (just fixed the floorboards and rewired, some interior paint). I am a truly creature of habit and my past so I want to use a traditional 60's-70's raised white letter tire (Goodrich ta's vs. Firestone wide oval's). I have never had radials on the car so my question is whether switching to radials results in an improvement in drivability, will they fit my Crager SS wheels, will radials work on stock 57 rims, and does anyone have experience with the current Goodrich ta radials?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Radials give an night and day improvement in driveablility. Many would likely say that switching to radial tires is the single most dramatic handling improvement that you can make. Yes radial tires have no problem on Cragars SSs or the stock '57 wheel.

I personally have bias plies on my '57 and my '56 truck because I just love the nostalgic look. But my '56 has radials and the driving improvement is basically night and day. With bias, you must wrestle the car around on the road to keep it from chasing ruts, with radials, it's a one finger on the wheel experience (no power steering either!)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I have driven my 56 with both and believe me their is a world of difference. I would describe the handling characteristics of the Bias ply in one word. DANGEROUS! I would never again run them. I put Radials on my otherwise all original restored 1960 Corvette.

Don

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
"I have driven my 55 with both and believe me their is a world of difference " I agree ,,,if you want a better ride and handling more like a modern car then you want radials ,,,

·
Registered
142 Posts
I put radials on my 56 this year. I will NEVER put bias ply tires on it again. You would have thought that I had changed the suspension and redone the front end because it was so much better.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No question. I agree with everyone here. i just changed from Bias to radials on my 55 this winter and there is no comparison.

Alan

·
Premium Member
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for all of your input! I will make the switch this year to the Goodrich TA's.

·
Premium Member
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, bias is all that I have ever had on the car and I learned to drive the car on them (took my driver's test in my 57, lol), so I am really use to them. However, if there is that much of a difference, I think I will have to make the switch as neither of my boys, age 21 and 17 respectively, has ever driven a car with bias ply tires, and, lol, neither has driven a car with manual brakes, manual steering, old school 4 speed, crank up windows, and no air, so I think the better move is to just make the switch, even though I like the look of the bias ply tires better. They will have enough of a learning curve as it is.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Radial all the way. I had Bias tires on my first 55 30 some years ago, along with my other cars. There is no comparision between the 2, handling and braking cannot be matched by a bias tire.

I also remember changing a lot of tires back then also.:sign0020:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've got bias whitewalls on my car now because you can't beat the look, IMO.

However, I have to avoid certain routes home because they are under construction, and it is a terrifying experience to have your car trying desperately to kill you by randomly trying to fling you into oncoming traffic due to funky grooves the construction crews left in the road.

So, when it comes time, and the budget allows, I'm switching to radials. Sacrificing some style for safety. Guess I'm getting older. :D

·
Premium Member
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Radials still on the list of stuff to get. Motor and install front end back on the car first, then the radials. Also going to put a gene smith sway bar on. I will report back.

·
Registered
67,764 Posts
sounds good, can't beat sway bars and radials to give you a better ride. :tu

·
Registered
370 Posts
when I bought my 55 it has bias plys with 3" white walls and looked GOOD, but handled terribly. Coker radial tires with 2 3/8" white walls and it handles great and looks good but I prefer the bias ply look.

·
Premium Member
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am with you, I like the bias ply look too but i cant take a chance. My boys have never driven on anything other than radials and I don't think there is any advantage in making them deal with a bias ply learning curve. Me, I learned to drive on them because that is all that anyone had so the change from bias ply to radial was an improvement. Don't want to go backwards and risk an accident with them driving.

7,082 Posts
I am with you, I like the bias ply look too but i cant take a chance. My boys have never driven on anything other than radials and I don't think there is any advantage in making them deal with a bias ply learning curve. Me, I learned to drive on them because that is all that anyone had so the change from bias ply to radial was an improvement. Don't want to go backwards and risk an accident with them driving.
If I put mine in it's own 18 wheel trailer, rolled it into a show, rolled it back to the trailer, then back to the garage, I might have a different opinion, probably not as it does not affect judging.

Could not agree more. Personal opinion, don't think the bias look any better at all. My 5 grandbabies ride with me and I VOTE for THEIR SAFETY. PERIOD. Do as you Pease. :shakehands: :bowtier:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts