Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good radiator cap to get. Want to replace funky one on my aluminum radiator.? 16 lb good ? What lb would recommend, live in 90-110 heat,? Should have pressure relief lever?, probably hard to find a nice on with the lever. Will listen to ideas
Thanks blackieharley

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
I personally use a 16# cap (at least I'm pretty sure it's a 16#), but it's also the coolant recovery type. I use it with a coolant recovery tank and never have to touch it. Also, I don't use one with the pressure relief lever, as am not sure of a reason you'd want to relieve the pressure when an engine is hot.

Regards,

Ray

·
Administrator
48,734 Posts
I think the big question is has your heater core been redone? The original cap was a 7 lbs cap. If the heater core hasn`t been rebuilt or replaced a 16 lb. cap may blow it.
Terry

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thinking Terry
Thanks.
Guess will go out and check what I have for sure before ordering a billet one.
Brian

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you have an aluminum radiator you will first need to determine if the core is welded to the tanks or epoxied. If it's epoxy I don't think I would choose to run a 16 lb cap. Mine is welded and it isn't rated for a 16 lbs. cap, although that's what I choose to run. Maybe ask the manufacturer what they recommend. Also beware the heater core as previously mentioned, I popped mine with the 16 lbs. cap!!

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts