Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously I submitted a thread on radiator choice, aluminum or copper/brass and the overwhelming response was aluminum. Now I could accept that an aluminum radiator may be the best way to go, if I knew why, but no-one has really said why they are better, other than they claim that they have solved their cooling problems, perhaps a new copper/brass would have done the same ??? If one were to compare the total cross sectional flow area of the 4 row, 1/2 inch tube design with the 2 row, 1 inch design, they are virtually the same. The heat transfer coefficient of copper is almost twice that of aluminum, combined with the fact that the smaller tubes probably have more flow turbulence which normally increases the heat transfer rate. Granted, the larger 1 inch tubes, the flow turbulence should be down and thus the fluid is probably moved through the system faster. Of course, the aluminum radiators do not face the problem of dissimilar material in the manufacturing process, and they are lighter and may cost less, which today's car manufacturers worry about, but do we really care? Also, confusing to me, is the range in prices for the aluminum radiators. The copper/brass run around $350, but the aluminum are all over the map, as I have seem one for $149 and others up in the $400 to $500 range.

Bottom line is, can someone explain to me the benefit in going to aluminum. I have no qualms in going that way, if I only knew the technical reason as to why and what price should one pay to get a quality product.

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
I am still running a stock original recored radiator without any problems. The aluminium replacements I was told needs rubber supports as so they stop any vibration causing the radiator to develop cracks.

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
Sure didn't get much response on radiator selection, i.e., aluminum or copper/brass. Guess most just want something that is different ???????/
Both alum or copper will work fine, if you`re looking for an original look the top tank was brass but painted black, aluminium rad`s have really come down in price so they are really affordable :anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts
Nov1962....Found this at the Stewart Components site:http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ And they do not sell radiators that I could see.

Which radiator is recommended (aluminum or copper)?

A7. We strongly recommend aluminum radiators. They dissipate heat more efficiently than copper brass.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
My aluminum radiator is way better then my old original style copper/brass. The fan doesn't come on at highway speeds and not in town unless stop and go traffic. It was $250 including shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.