Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok most of you know i had the water pump break and cause castrophe. if not see link http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2582

my dilema is i want to try to run a crossflow radiator. im not sure what the best position to mount this would be. im looking at one of these

on ebay and wondering what the best position to run it in would be.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/55-5...ryZ33602QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

i plan on using electric water pump and fans. the engine is on the stock mounts in the stock location. right now i have a a 6 cylinder support that i can fix. i also have acess to a v8 support and a 57 radiator. what do you guys think? ps the motor is a 383 making a tad over 500 hp and is getting a large dose of nitrous soon. with the old setup it never got over 180 even cruising.
sorry for so much info im kinda stuck on this one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I could never see the reason 4 the crossflow if the original style radiator worked well with the 383. After looking at your pic's I can see how you might be a little gun shy to run a conventional pump again, ouch! I used to run a fan like that on my '62 Vette, never broke a water pump BUT went threw alot of water pump bearings, just to heavey of a fan 4 that much RPM. Back than I would buy the water pumps that had a life time warranty, didn't hurt so bad that way. You have to do what you gotta do to keep it cool but if your askin I like the stock placement with the aluminum rad. The same company makes them for up to 600 hp, so they say. Used to run an electric water pump also but that was at the drags where we would cool down with a water swap inbetween rounds and charge the battery up again. Don't here of to many used on the street. Lon

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The only way I could keep my car cool enough was with a crossflow radiator in the 6 cyld position coupled with twin 11" Spal (puller) fans that have a built-in shroud. Not sure why you are doing an electric waterpump. I think you would be much better served with a good quality high volume pump such as a Weiand, Edelbrock, Stewart etc etc..
55Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only way I could keep my car cool enough was with a crossflow radiator in the 6 cyld position coupled with twin 11" Spal (puller) fans that have a built-in shroud. Not sure why you are doing an electric waterpump. I think you would be much better served with a good quality high volume pump such as a Weiand, Edelbrock, Stewart etc etc..
55Mike
well one reason for the electric pump was i had trouble with fan belts for a while, so i switched to a serpentine setup, now this happens. im pretty much getting tired of fixing stuff. also like stray cat mentioned i do drag race so i plan to be able to run pump and fans between rounds. i think im might look into a stock alum radiator. gues si need to buy a pump so i can see if i need a v8 or 6 cyl position.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with going a crossflow! For some reason what works for one does not work for others, don't know why. I like big cross flows with BB & race purpose shoeboxes. Like Mike says you gotta start with quality parts when it come to pumps. If it were my car I would go with a good pump, stock placed aluminum rad. with shroud and electric fan. No fan on pump since you will be turning some R'z and NOS. After saying that, one thing a cross flow does do is give you room to work, things arn't so cramped up front. I would go with the crossflow if racing is the main use. You say your getting tired of fixing things, better get used to it if your going racing! Sh*t happens ............. Be happy that fan took an exit when the hood was down and not when your head was in there winging the engine like we all do! Lon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am pretty fortunate about that. i just purchased an electric pump, i have a stock 57 6cyl radiator i might use for now just to get it back on the road. im def going to get an aftermarket alumium when the time comes. thanks for the help guys and trifive.com is the best.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
55Delray,
I use a Griffin 2-row with 1-1/4" tubes with a shroud in the V-8 position. I also use a S-blade 17" pusher fan to cool my small block. With a 185 degree thermo. I never run hotter than 200-205 degrees in 100+ temps WITH the A/C running, idling in traffic. There is only about 1/2" clearance between the fan bolts and the radiator. Barely enough room to change the v-belts when necessary.

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as what position to put it in- I vote for the 6 cylinder position. You'll have a lot more room when working on the front of the motor. Also, many crossflow radiators have a cooling area that is wider than the opening of the radiator support. If you put it in the V8 position you'd be wasting some airflow. Plus, a big shiny aluminum crossflow looks good out front!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Be happy that fan took an exit when the hood was down and not when your head was in there winging the engine like we all do! Lon
Reminded me of the time I was tuning my 54 Chevy Pickup, leaning across the radiator reving the engine, closed the hood, got in, wound her out in first, hit second and one blade of the fan went through the hood and into orbit... cut the radiator hose so clean I couldn't tell it was damaged till I leaned on it... Never have found the blade...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts