Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im planning for an ls swap in my 57 belair.
I Wonder if there is an radiator that fits a trifuve with only minor modifications.

All aftermarket radiators i have seen is $900 or more. There has to be somekind of radiator that almost fits and need minor modifications

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
With mine I used a aluminum 6 cylinder position stock style and had to get creative with the hoses, used a truck style top hose and had to place a steel truck water pump neck I cut out of old water pump and repurposed clamps in middle to transition to top of radiator...... easy peasy no leakage or flow issues stays 180-190 with T-bird fan lm7 variant 5.3

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Take some inch and a half aluminum tubing and have your local Muffler guy mandrel bend it in the shape you need so you can use a factory style radiator. Bead roll the ends to keep the rubber connector pieces in place.

·
Registered
37,259 Posts
There are many solutions for an LS radiator that don't cost $900. A stock (or stock dimensioned) radiator can be used mounted in the 6 cylinder position. Put an electric fan behind it, and use hose size adapters to go from the hose size on the radiator to the hose size on the engine. Jagsthatrun.com has some, as do others. Or there are several generic crossflow radiators out there with the correct hose bungs, but you'll have to fabricate the mounts, again in front of the radiator support. PRC in Boonville, IN used to have a very nice crossflow radiator for about $400 with mounts on it that would bolt to a stock radiator support. It's probably more costly now but something you could look into. They will put any size hose bung on the radiator tank that you want. For a cheap dual fan setup, look at the fans from gen4 Camaros, as well as other GM vehicles like Corvettes and pickups. The gen4 Camaro setup compares to the Spal dual 11" fan setup that many use. For hoses, I use tig welding rod bent into the shape and length I need and carry that to the auto supply and ask if I can look through their hose inventory. You can also use the jagsthatrun hose adapters in conjunction with that method. Or the aluminum tube that Darren suggested.

·
Registered
823 Posts
When I swapped my 265 for an LS I simply used the stock radiator moved to the 6 cyl position. Installed a good electric fan in the core support (donor from a C4 Corvette). Two years now and the car runs cool even in the worse of the summer heat and traffic. You don't have to spend that sort of coin to keep an LS cool.:eek:

·
Registered
107 Posts
For my LM7 I used an aluminum stock style radiator with a Ford Taurus fan and shroud. I used fabric reinforced silicone rubber hoses for my coolant lines. You can get them with different size ends and angles. I used one on the truck water pump outlet and one at the top outlet of the radiator. I think clocked them to mate up and cut to length. I then used an aluminum connector with beaded ends to join them. I also had to use one of the Gates heat shrink hose clamps on the top hose due to space constraints(worked great). I also used T-bolt clamps for a cleaner look. Bill

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So its the steam lines that are special on the ls radiator and if its possible to put them on waterpump instead i can almost use any radiator that i can find

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
So its the steam lines that are special on the ls radiator and if its possible to put them on waterpump instead i can almost use any radiator that i can find
Not really the steam port its the hose sizes the LS hose fittings are smaller most all stock trifive rad are for SBC hose sizes. www.jagsthatrun.com sell adapters and even sell them with steam port in them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That could no be to hard to solve.
In think many of the swap ls radiators are over priced so, if its the hose size and stream port that is different theres got to be an aftermarket radiator with the same hose size.

Its so damn expensive to buy parts from US here im sweden. First of all our currency is crap and on top of that we hade to pay 25% tax and 5% custom fee (on part +shipping)
For example a pair of wilwood brakes Cost $1000, shopping $200 then we have to pay 1200*1.3...

·
Registered
27 Posts
With mine I used a aluminum 6 cylinder position stock style and had to get creative with the hoses, used a truck style top hose and had to place a steel truck water pump neck I cut out of old water pump and repurposed clamps in middle to transition to top of radiator...... easy peasy no leakage or flow issues stays 180-190 with T-bird fan lm7 variant 5.3 View attachment 319728
View attachment 319731
What belt tensioner are you using?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I’m actually using the stock setup from lm7 truck painted black atnd a short SERPENTINE belt , I removed the power steering pump the 57 never had it and I wasn’t wasting cash to get it. Trifive listed a short belt # but I threw it twice and decided to get two steps smaller to ensure a snug fitment and I haven’t had any issues since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts