Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times but I can not find much info on it. I have a 55 delray and I am going to install a prc aluminum radiator and core support with electric fans. I have a 350 in it now. My question is what is the best position for this set up. The V8 or V6 position. And what are the benefits to both. I don't have a/c or power steering but I plan on installing vintage air in the future. And maybe rack and pinion but I'm not sure about that yet. And is there a benefit of having a internal automatic trans cooler or is it just for a cleaner look. Any info will be appreciated Thank you

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
my 56 and 57 have 350 with the rads in 6cy position. also have the external trans cooler. pics in my albums. :)

·
Administrator
70,785 Posts
With the rad in the V8 position you have more room infront of the rad support to mount extra items, also I usually stand behind the grill when I need to get to something.

The six cyclinder position puts the rad closer to the front gives you more room around the water pump.

My rads have internal trans cooler, have not had any problems.

There are new transcoolers that now have thier own cooling fan.

:anim_25: with what you decide :tu

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
I don't know what your PRC looks like, if it's a crossflow it just about has to go in front of the radiator support.

If it's a downflow, you have a choice. Mine would be to mount it in front of the radiator support. That gives you room to add the drive for the a/c, or to put a later model accessory drive on it, or to run a bigger fan and a fan clutch.

The downside of mounting the radiator in front of the support is that with it in that position, and with an a/c condenser, the condenser will get very close to the hood latch plate on a 55. It's not nearly the problem on a 56-57 because the grille is further forward on those. But it's a problem that can be dealt with.

On the trans cooler, I like an in-radiator one plus a separate one. But it's a toss up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what your PRC looks like, if it's a crossflow it just about has to go in front of the radiator support.

If it's a downflow, you have a choice. Mine would be to mount it in front of the radiator support. That gives you room to add the drive for the a/c, or to put a later model accessory drive on it, or to run a bigger fan and a fan clutch.

The downside of mounting the radiator in front of the support is that with it in that position, and with an a/c condenser, the condenser will get very close to the hood latch plate on a 55. It's not nearly the problem on a 56-57 because the grille is further forward on those. But it's a problem that can be dealt with.

On the trans cooler, I like an in-radiator one plus a separate one. But it's a toss up.
What's the reason for 2 transmission coolers? Wouldn't 1 be fine?

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,883 Posts
What's the reason for 2 transmission coolers? Wouldn't 1 be fine?
The radiator trans cooler will both lower and raise the trans temps. If you happen to like pushing things and banging gears, a warm transmission shifts better than a cold one. But if the tranny is running too hot the radiator cooler will do a good job of getting is down to a safe temp, and the auxiliary one will cool things just a little bit more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.