Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, planning on upgrading my radiator and fan assembly for my '57 BelAir. This is my first big project on the car and hoping i will address my overheating issues as I move into the spring/summer. I've been looking at a couple options and was hoping for feedback or if there were things I didn't think of. I'll admit I'm just learning at this point so happy for feedback. Engine is a smallbock 383, radiator is stock in the V8 position. Small electric fan on now but having issues with overheating during summer heat and low speeds.

I've been looking at the Griffin 8-70018 and pair with the 16" Spal 30102049 fan to fit the shroud, or alternatively the Cold Case CHT562a with shroud/fan, or the full kit CHT562AK. Thoughts? Anyone have any experience or thoughts on either of those combos? Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Upgrading may be a good idea, but before you do that check your ignition timing. If it's retarded at all it will cause overheating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upgrading may be a good idea, but before you do that check your ignition timing. If it's retarded at all it will cause overheating.
Thanks Rob; I just had it in for a general tune up and overview and they checked the timing and it seemed ok. They also recommended a larger cooling system.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I understand, but them saying "Seemed ok" doesn't work for me. Double check the spec. It's not a stock engine. Do they do high performance work? That 383 might like a little more advance, especially if it has a 'Cam'. It's easy enough to try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand, but them saying "Seemed ok" doesn't work for me. Double check the spec. It's not a stock engine. Do they do high performance work? That 383 might like a little more advance, especially if it has a 'Cam'. It's easy enough to try.
Well, they didn't say "seemed ok" but didn't have the details in front of me to elaborate further. But yes, the garage specializes in classic cars and non-stock engines. As I recall (its been a couple months and don't have the paperwork in front of me) they tried getting the timing down to a 9 or 10 but couldn't get it below 14 before it started to act up. I'll pull the paperwork when I get home and verify.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok, That kind of leans towards what I'm getting at. Why try to get the timing low? Your engine may need more than the 14* of initial timing to be happy. I bet it will run cooler.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ok, That kind of leans towards what I'm getting at. Why try to get the timing low? Your engine may need more than the 14* of initial timing to be happy. I bet it will run cooler.
^^^^ This. Easy to try, and waaaay cheaper than a new radiator and fans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^^ This. Easy to try, and waaaay cheaper than a new radiator and fans.
That's good advice guys and is incentive to buy a timing gun, but my only comment would the timing was originally already higher than 14 prior to the tune-up and I was still overheating.
The car came from Wisconsin out to Nevada, so cruising in July/August out here got me overheating unless I was at highway speeds. I'm pretty sure its just currently just the stock radiator with a 10" electric fan and no shroud.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I understand. You may just need a better fan and shroud. If it was me I would also confirm that the timing mark on the damper is indeed TDC.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I'm pretty sure its just currently just the stock radiator with a 10" electric fan and no shroud.
And, that fan is on the grille side of the rad?
Stock rad is how old?
A 10" fan, with a new, correctly sized rad, is sketchy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts