Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like a while back someone posted a link to a radiator they bought for about $250 and were very happy with. I can't seem to find that post anymore, does anyone have it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea Rudy that is the post I was thinking of - thanks for pointing me to it again.

I want a stock looking radiator in the V8 position. I don't have a material preference. I don't want to modify anything to install it so I guess 4 core is not an option.

Thanks for mentioning Desert Coolers from Merv. I will be picking up some other parts from him this weekend at the Greenfield swap meet so I may see what he has for radiators.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey 3-Tri-Fives. Do those 4 core Desert Coolers require any modification in the V8 position? I have heard that they are thicker and thus require the splash pans to be modified. What was your experience?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have both of mine in the 6 cyl. position. Sorry about that. From what I can see the dimensions are very close to the original radiators. I bet if you are interested in ordering one from Merv, he would know. Give him a call. He answers the phone. Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just wrapped up installing a US Radiator Desert Cooler 4 core high efficiency radiator, V8 in the stock position in my 57. It's about 1/2" thicker than the stock radiator. I initially thought I was having a clearance problem, turned out the bottom panel that goes in front of the bottom radiator tank was bent on the passenger side; a little friendly persuasion with a mallet cleared it up. I have about 5/8" clearance between the fan and the radiator now. Running a 7 blade fan from Eckler's, which is thicker than the stock fan.

I bought the radiator directly from the factory in East Los Angeles; no special discounts or anything but it was cool to meet the people who work there and I feel good knowing I have a quality made in the USA product in my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts