Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting here because for some reason I can't post in the original section.
Guys help me out. I installed my original radiator support in my frame temporarily to check clearance from the bottom radiator hose to frame. Seems too low. Question is does anybody know roughly what the measurement is from the frame to the bottom of the radiator support on a 57?
I have a new kit with the new rubber sections but I don't know which goes where. One is longer and wider than the other one. I also need the measurement from the inside edge of the outer part of the support where it bolts to the fender to the firewall so I can cut my new upper radiator hose to the correct length. Was going to try to go to a local show fri. to see If I could get the measurements from someone there. Thanks for reply. Jim

·
Registered
36,123 Posts
There is a 1/4" rubber piece that goes between the bottom of the support and the top of the frame bracket. Then you will need to add shims to fill the gap so that the entire front sheet metal clip aligns properly. In other words so that the front fenders don't droop and that the fender to bumper clearance is correct. Most cars are going to need 1/8" to 3/16" of shim, maybe more.

You may also need shims on the crossbar to fender joint to get adequate gap between the fender and hood. And the holes in the frame mount are way oversize so that you can move the fenders side to side to make them fit the hood correctly.

Hope this helps, I didn't understand your other questions.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted the measurement from the inside edge of the radiator support where it bolts to the fender from there to the firewall. In other words if you were looking at the radiator support from the side of car what would be the measurement from the firewall forward to the edge of the radiator support to make it level I guess. I could probably bolt the fender back on temporarily to get the measurement. Thanks for reply Rick.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I would wait till everything is assembled to cut the radiator hose.
Jim

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
FP....Don't have the fenders on mine yet....However, I do have the radiator support mounted.....The distance from the inner edge of the support to the firewall ( a point just above the ballast resistor) is 31" Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36,123 Posts
Is it me or your photo? Looks like the support is leaning forward. It leans backward.

I don't know the angle, but I'd guess it's the same 4 degrees as the driveline angle. That makes the radiator core and fan parallel, which makes some kind of meager sense.

·
50,371 Posts
Is it me or your photo? Looks like the support is leaning forward. It leans backward.

I don't know the angle, but I'd guess it's the same 4 degrees as the driveline angle. That makes the radiator core and fan parallel, which makes some kind of meager sense.
Rick...In the photo it does look like it is leaning forward.....I put a level on it an its at 0*....I imagine it will make some difference, probably not much.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts

·
50,371 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
question??

Hate to dig up an old thread but I have a question. Installing my rad support, I couldn't scrape up enough of the old mounts and be comfortable with it. So I just ordered a new mounting kit, shims, rubber, bolts etc.

My question is: when the new mounts are installed/tightened, does the support naturally sit at a zero degree angle? I may be jumping the gun here because I haven't received the new ones yet, but seems to me that the mounts are flat and yes, I'll follow the assy manual best as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts